Let's make a date with dad this weekend. This year, it's time to throw out the annual humdrum dinner with the fam and focus on spending some quality time with your pops. After working so hard to provide for you, it's your turn to take him out and treat him to one of these well-deserving fun activities provided below:
1. Brunch With Papa
- Allô! Mon Coco: Cheers to great quality and great portions! Pinkies up!
- Brit & Chips: A quaint little nook capturing the best aspects of a traditional fish n 'chips while adding some of the local flavour and style that Montreal is known for.
- Saint Sushi Bar: If dad loves sushi, then this is your best pick, #winning (fresh, delicious, exquisite looking, comes with a fantastic tea for digestion!)
- Olive & Gourmando: For the healthy fathers, this gourmet lunch spot offers fresh drinks, mouth-watering sandwiches (cajun chicken/mango/avocado sandwich) and desserts (cheese & herb scones, dark chocolate & beet cupcakes). Enlighten his taste buds a little. They even have their own homemade ricotta and ketchup!
2. Eureka Festival
- Check out the Montreal Science Center this weekend holding its annual Eureka Fest. You can experiment, create, observe and discuss with researchers, professionals and future scientists while enjoying more than 100 inspiring hands-on activities for all ages. There are lots of surprises at the Festival, from street theatre to evening shows, artistic installations and more, plus dozens of activities showcasing the zany side and poetry of science!
3. BeerFest 2014
- Plenty of dads like to kick back and relax with a nice cold beer, so why not bring him to the biggest beer festival in Montreal? Sunday is the last day for these festivities happening in and outside of the Palais des Congrès. With 500 styles of beer from over 120 breweries to choose from (and tons of food), you and pops are bound to have a swell day drinking together. Click here for more info.
- If your Dad's still kickin' and in pretty good shape, grab a few family friends & head to North America's largest indoor paintball center. Compared to all of the other interior centres, Action 500 offers more than 4 fields reproducing wonderfully urban battlefields encompassed with rocket launchers, army jeeps, buses, fortresses, trenches, towers, bridges, ladders, wrecked cars and much more. They're open on weekends 9:00 a.m. - midnight.
- Warzone Paintball orders you to report to its camp for a day of extreme adventure! Get your adrenaline fix and discover all the possible warlike scenarios in their outdoor settings. All equipment is included, you are only charged for the amount of paintballs you purchase (500 balls =$70, po' pire).
5. Sports Bar (FIFA WORLD CUP GAMES ARE ON)
If BeerFest wasn't enough, then take your dad to one of Montreal's best sports bars (Sports Station, McLean's Pub, La Cage or Le Manoir) and watch the 2014 FIFA World Cup. You both ought to get settled in because there's three matches this Sunday, so grab some WINGS, poutine, and onion rings and let the games begin.
Sunday, June 15
- Switzerland vs Ecuador @ Noon
- France vs Honduras @ 3pm
- Argentina vs Bosnia @ 6pm
6. Cirque Du Soleil - Cabinet Of Curiosities
- Are you curious about this year's Cirque show? Well, rest assured, it's certainly one of a kind! It's eerie yet thrilling at the same time. Located right behind the Montreal Science Center in the Old Port, this show immerses you in a mysterious and fascinating realm that disorients your senses and challenges your perceptions as the visible becomes invisible leaving you to wonder: "Is it real, or just a figment of my imagination?".
7. Quadricycles/Pedal Boats
- If Cirque doesn't cut it for you, grab dinner down by the Port and instead, rent a quadricycle or a pedalo for the evening with Papa Bear. They’re open on weekends from 11am-8pm. Spend the evening cracking up jokes and reminiscing while you both engage in some outdoor activity.
8. Camping – Voyageur Park
- For those pro camper dads out there, grab this weekend by the horns, gather up the fam and hit up Park Voyageur. This is a well-known and family oriented park with an incredible lake resting only 40 minutes outside of Montreal. Pack some treats (marshmellows), bring board games, pitch those tents and relish in making new memories together as a family out in the wilderness.
9. Oka Beach
- Bust out the portable grill and head to Oka with the fam. There's nothing better than spending a sunny day on the beach. My recommendation: stop by Dollarama and pick up footballs, frizbees, buckets/shovels (burry dad in the sand) & mini water guns for a surprise attack on pa (not while he's grillin' of course). The rental services at Oka include kayaks, canoes, pedal boats, and mountain bikes. Lot's to do!
10. Fringe Festival — Cabaret Du Mile End
- If you and your dad love watching improv and comedy sketches together, then this is definitely for you! DO NOT MISS OUT on these hilariously entertaining shows, especially My BIG Gay Italian Wedding!
Here's the lineup for shows on Father's Day at Carbaret Du Mile End :
Sunday 15 June
- 15:15 Whose F*** Is It Anyway? - An improv show based on “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”. This show contains all the best games, like Scenes From A Hat, Questions Only, Hoedown and many more!
- 17:00 STRAPLESS - Time to get unstrapped in the name of comedy. Smart, sassy, sexy, sketch comedy performed by 4 of Vancouver’s best sketch comedians.
- 19:00 High Tea - Bring a teacup for $2 off. “Complete and utter fun”- CBC. “A total laugh riot” -Montreal Gazette. “An irresistible delight.” -StageDoor, Toronto
- 20:45 God Is A Scottish Drag Queen II - God, dressed in a floral power suit, returns to skewer everything from the Mormons to the iPhone.
- 22:30 My BIG Gay Italian Wedding - The Pinnunizato family embark on a BIG gay adventure. This is a satire on the controversy of same-sex marriage that draws on 15 larger than life gay and Italian characters. What could possibly go wrong when everyone wants to get involved with the wedding plans? Everything that's what! Come OUT and be a guest at their wedding. It's gonna be AMAZEBALLS!