30 Most Bullshit Sounding Facts That Are Actually True
In the internet age, information is everywhere. The problem is you have to be careful because most of that information is complete bullshit.
However there are some facts you'd never guess were actually true because they sound so ridiculous. Here are 30 bullshit sounding facts that are actually true.
1. In 1967, Montreal Mayor Jean Drapeau had a secret negotiation with Charles de Gaulle for the tower sent to Montreal to serve as a landmark and tourist attraction during Expo 67.
How cool would that have been?
2. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
Apparently there's a huge feral camel problem in Australia.
3. Hockey player Bill Barilko disappeared one summer. He was on a fishing trip, the last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the Cup. They didn't win another, 'til 1962. The year he was discovered.
4. We went to the moon before we thought to put wheels on suitcases.
It was so easy to be an "inventor" in the 1950's.
5. Oreos existed before sliced bread.
At least people in the past had their priorities in order.
6. Can openers were invented 48 years after the invention of cans.
I guess they just used to hit the can with a rock or something.
7. Hockey player Guy Lafleur released a disco album. Every song is just a disco beat and Guy listing hockey tips in a monotone voice.
Can't be worse than William Shatner's album.
8. The job with the highest death rate in the USA is President at 9%.
Out of 44 presidents, 4 have been assassinated. If you count that 4 others died while they were in office, the figure is closer to 18%.
9. In 1956, for a bet and while drunk, a man stole a small plane from New Jersey and then landed it at the bar he had been drinking at. Two years later, he did it again after a man didn't believe he had done it the first time.
Here is an article about it.
10. The founder of Match.com lost his girlfriend to a guy she met on Match.com
At least it's a testament to the success of his company.
11. There is a planet that has a surface temperature of 800 degrees but due to the gravity the water molecules are compressed to ice. So it's covered in super hot ice.
I guess it would be perfect to relieve sore muscles.
12. The coldest known place in the universe is not in outer space, but is actually on Earth. Even the deepest, darkest dust clouds in outer space aren't estimated to get colder than a few degrees Kelvin, but we can get to temperatures just a fraction of a degree above absolute zero routinely in labs on Earth.
Or your ex's heart.
13. 14 years before the Titanic sank, Morgan Robertson wrote a book about a huge ship called the "Titan" hitting an iceberg and sinking, with many dying due to lack of life rafts.
Titanic was an inside job #conspiracy.
14. Α moose can dive underwater down tо nearly twenty feet in search оf food.
Forget sharks, my new fear is getting eaten by a moose.
15. There are more ways to arrange a standard deck of cards than there are atoms in the solar system.
That would also mean that no 52 card deck has ever randomly been arranged in the same order twice.
16. That kangaroos can smell when a woman has her period and will attack her.
As if I needed another reason to stay away from Australia.
17. Anne Frank and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. were born the same year.
Fun additional fact, Betty White was born 7 years before them.
18. The last time the Cubs won the World Series, the Ottoman Empire was still in power.
Though they came close this year.
19. Oxford University is older than the Aztecs.
Teaching had begun there as early as 1096. It became a full University in 1249. The Aztec civilization is generally assumed to begin with the founding of the city of Tenochtitlan by the Mexica at lake Texcoco, in 1325.
20. Malaria has killed half of all people who have ever lived.
Here's a National Geographic article with researchers explaining how this is plausible.
21. Brian May, the guitarist from Queen, has a PhD in astrophysics.
Still, when you have the option between astrophysicist and rockstar, the choice is obvious.
22. That superglue was originally used to seal wounds in the field.
That doesn't sound very sanitary.
23. There's more bacteria in your mouth than in your rectum.
You kiss your mother with that mouth?
24. Wooly mammoths and the Great Pyramids co-existed.
25. Uranus and Neptune have oceans made of diamonds.
BRB gonna go buy a spaceship.
26. Sloths sometimes mistake their own arms for tree branches, grab them, then fall to their death.
That is the most adorably sad thing I've ever heard.
27. German Chocolate Cake isn't named after being from Germany, it's actually named after Sam German, an American baker.
This feels like false advertising.
28. There is a bridge in Scotland from which dogs jump off and commit suicide. There are numerous theories but none explains the suicides completely.
It's called the Ovetoun Bridge.
29. Apple has more cash on hand than the US government.
Hey apple, it's America. Can I borrow $5?