12 Free Things You Can Do During The Montreal Pride Festival
Celebrate your pride without breaking the bank.
It's officially August today and it's safe to say most of us are pretty glad July is over. This month has some of the best events in store, and the wait is finally close to over. One of the most anticipated events not only in the city but across the country is Montreal's Pride Festival.
Our festival for celebrating the LGBTQ+ community is one of the best in country. From August 9-19 you get to strut the streets with others who have been waiting all year for this massive celebration and finally appreciate the rainbow balls among other pride festivities along Sainte-Catherine to it's fullest.
For those of us who can't make every event this year, or unfortunately just don't have the funds to get into the Pride events that cost a bit of money, it's important to know what you can do around the city for free while still being apart of the city's Pride spirit. Luckily, there are quite a few things to do this year that you can enjoy for absolutely free and still get the most out of this year's festival.
1. Check out the "Art in The Sky" exhibition with a show every day during Pride week.
2. The lighting of Montreal's Olympic Stadium Tower takes place all night long on August 19.
3. The renowned show Illusion with over 30 drag queens and many special guests is set to take place on August 10.
4. A stone wall inspired disco party otherwise known as Mondo Disko is an ode to the incredible nightlife of the late '60s.
5. Cinema L, an event showcasing feature independant films on the realities of women in the LGBTQ+ community, takes place on August 13.
6. An outdoor Pride zumba event goes down on August 11 for anyone in need of a good workout and positive energy.
7. On August 16 check out the Kids' Day activities including free food, games, makeup and mascots!
8. One of the main shows of the week, Excellence, celebrates queer and trans people of colour. You definitely don't want to miss this presentation that takes place August 15.
9. For a night full of dance music and ultimate partying, the Mega-T Dance presented by PUMP is what you'll want to check out on August 19.
10. The Queer Market taking place on August 11 supports Montreal businesses and creatives while prioritizing the BIPOC community.
11. A poster exhibit presented by the Quebec Gay Archives runs every day of August to showcase the history of the LGBTQ+ history. With over 600 unique posters from around the world, you won't want to miss it.
12. The official closing show of Pride week, you'll want to attend this last evening of celebration including popular drag queens and an amazing grand finale to Montreal's 2018 Pride Festival.
For more information on all of the events taking place from August 9-19, you can check out the official Montreal Pride 2018 website HERE.