Photo cred - Bianca DesJardins
In 1949, Orwell published an iconic novel describing a dystopian future and a society rife with perpetual war, omnipresent government surveillance, and public manipulation. Thankfully 1984 was more a time of increasing technological innovation, economic liberalization, and yes, really bad hair. When looking at the world today, mind you, it seems that maybe Orwell wasn't that far off after all. A lot has happened in the last 30 years, and the passing of time has seen many marking events, revolutionary inventions, and popular phrases shape our very society as we know it today.
What that means is that if we had the option to jump in our trusty Delorians right now and travel back in time to Montreal in 1984, common phrases we often use and hear now, would make absolutely no sense. Much like these ones.
1. I survived the Icestorm.
2. I'm meeting my Tinder date at Apt. 200 tonight for drinks.
3. I took a selfie with Sugar Sammy after his show and Tweeted it.
4. I lost my iPhone on the metro, so email or Skype me.
5. I finally locked down my tickets to see Arcade Fire at Osheaga. Woot!
6. I need to find a retro one-piece for Igloofest. I'll Google it.
7. I flew into YUL and caught an UBER downtown.
8. Anyone else think #Pastagate is ridiculous?
9. I got so turnt up at New City Gas last night, I don't even remember how I got home. But as they say, YOLO!
10. I hooked up with this super hot girl last night at Blizzarts but now she won't accept my friend request. I poked her and everything.
11. The Habs are definitely winning the cup this year because the Price is Right and PK is the man.
12. I keep all my Bran Van 3000 MP4's on my iPod.
13. Mayor Coderre is a pretty classy dude, but Rob Ford is freaking hilarious dude.
14. "One island. One City."
15. Bro, what's your WiFi password?
16. I can watch my Bell Fibe on my 60" wireless flat screen outside like a baws.
17. You should follow Eugenie Bouchard on Instagram. She's mad hot.
18. Check out that GIF of Youppi riding the mechanical bull at Chez Serge. Jokes.
19. No worries, I'm just gonna BIXI home tonight.
20. IOS is so much better than Ice Cream Sandwich.
21. Just upload all your pics from Piknic to the cloud and I'll peep them later.