Photo cred - Vieux-Port de Montréal
The holiday season has come to an end, with many an eve having been celebrated, and another year is now firmly in the books. Hopefully your NYE went smoothly and you are now more ready than ever to take on all the exciting challenges 2015 has in store.
But with all the merry-making you have no doubt indulged in over the last few jovial weeks, you're probably skint as all hell and are probably thinking that January is time for some stone-cold frugal hibernation.
Fear not! We have found you a varied selection of FREE activities and events to partake in this first calendar month of the year, that should ease your whimpering wallet and provide much delight for you and your family.
1. Righteously sleep off that NYE hangover and consider getting some brunch
2. If you are with family, the Saint-Joseph Oratory is hosting a free Family Day with free admission to the museum and other activities January 1
4. See free holiday movies at Place D'Youville until January 4
5. Pick up some free coffee and hot chocolate from the 24H comfort team in the Old Port until January 4
7. Get free sweet samples and hot chocolate at the Nestle Turtles Big Presents at Place D'Youville and Square Victoria until January 4
8. Take a break at one of the cozy Hotspots on Place Jacques-Cartier. until January 4
11. Skate for free at various skating rinks around the city. Find them all here
12. Explore Warhol Mania and the Permanent Collections @ the Museum of Fine Arts
13. Immerse yourself in Luminoptherapie with the Prismatica installation @ Quartier des Festival
14. And be sure to check out the Fascinoscope audio-visual light projections and carnival games outside of St. Laurent metro tation
15. Go sledding/tobogganing down Mont-Royal, if we ever get snow that is.
16. The Saint-Joseph Oratory offers free organ concerts every Sunday at 3:30 PM in the Basilica
17. Discover L’Hivernale's variety of activities including a bar, a culinary lab and Bavarian curling with theme nights and performances by local DJs @ the Olympic Stadium
20. Go on a augmented reality quest called Wintering @ the Old port
21. Or discover the various quays of the Old Port through the past two centuries with the 5 Generations, One Port Self-Guided Tour
23. Get lost in the monumental monochrome or hyper-saturated colour images of VALÉRIE BELIN SURFACE TENSION exhibition @ the Phi Centre
24. Or be captivated by infrared film photo gallery captured a midst armed rebel groups in Congo by RICHARD MOSSE THE ENCLAVE @ DHC/ART FOUNDATION FOR CONTEMPORARY ART
25. Check out live ice-sculpturing performances happening daily @ Parc Jean Drapeau
26. As well as all the other fun activities happening at the Fête des Neiges 2015
27. Mingle with the city's brightest visual arts, fashion, beauty, and jewelry designers @ Les Soirées ART & BULLES
29. Ogle all the lumbersexuals of the West Coast Lumberjack Show with chain saw carving, axe throwing and other demonstrations January 31 at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. @ Parc Jean Drapeau
30. Actually work on all those New Year resolutions you made for yourself ;)