The Bacon-Jalapeño Tater Tot Grilled Cheese Is The Carb Overdose Worth Cheating For
Vote for Pedro.
Photo cred - Thrillist
Every once in while, when you think that classics can't get any better, a new foodgasm comes at you to make your taste-buds explode with gustatory anticipation. Enter Thrillist's Bacon-Jalapeño Tater Tot Grilled Cheese. And the best part is, you can make it at home, provided you have a waffle-iron mind you.
Combining the comforting goo factor of a grilled cheese, the mouth stimulation of crispy bacon and jalapeno, all sandwiched together between two tater tot waffles is essentially the food of the gods. This is one grill cheese you want in and around your mouth asap.
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-6 slices bacon
- 1 large jalapeño, de-seeded and coarsely chopped
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat waffle iron to max setting
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, nuke the taters for a few minutes
- Then spread half of the tater tots generously in a even layer on waffle-iron, sprinkle with salt, and close for about 8-10 minutes, or until nice and crispy
- Transfer tater tot waffle to wire rack and use the rest of the taters to make a second waffle
- Meanwhile, crisp up the bacon in a pan, then remove and cook jalapeño for 2 minutes in rendered bacon fat
- With the second tater waffle still in the iron, layer half the cheese, then the bacon and jalapeño, and top with a remaining layer of cheese
- Gently press down lid until cheese melts
- Cut in four pieces and eat with reckless abandon
It's probably not how to celebrate your 3-monthiversary with your SO, but as a late-night snack-attack satisfier when you find yourself desperately alone and in your undies, this should fit the bill nicely.