Montreal metro names are weird, like the fact they are called metros and not subways if you're not from here.\nEvery name seems to be an homage to a person or a place. But who are these people? Where are these places? And what the hell does Namur mean?\nLuckily a Montrealer named Gilles Laporte decided to make metro map to list the origin of every metro station.\nHere are the translations of the stations which were included:\nGreen Line\nStation Honoré-Beaugrand : Honoré-Beaugrand founder of the La Patrie newspaper and mayor of Montreal.\nStation Radisson : Pierre Esprit Radisson, he was a 'coureur des bois' and later founded the Hudson Bay company.\nStation Langelier : Sir Francois-Charles-Stanislas Langelier, Minister and Lieutenant Governor.\nStation Cadillac : Antoine Laumet de la mothe Cadillac, founder of Detroit Michigan.\nStation Assomption : Named after the dogma of the assumption of the Virgin Mary which was confirmed by Pope Pius XII on 1 November 1950.\nStation Pie-IX : Named after Pope Pius IX (1846-1878).\nStation Joliette : Bathelemy Joliette, notary, entrepreneur and Lord of Lavaltrie.\nStation Préfontaine : Raymond-Fournier Préfontaine, mayor of Hochelaga and Montreal.\nStation Frontenac : Louis de Buade de Frontenac et de Palluau, Governor of New France.\nStation Papineau : Joseph Papineau, notary, surveyor, deputy and father of Louis-Joseph Papineau.\nStation Beaudry : Pierre Beaudry, the original owner of the property.\nStation Berri-UQAM : The plot of land was originally named Berri and the UQAM was established there in 1979.\nStation Saint-Laurent : Named after the street it is on which leads to the Saint-Laurent Parish.\nStation Place des Arts : Named as such because it was built underneath the Place des Arts cultural complex.\nStation McGill : James McGill donated the land in 1821.\nStation Peel : Sir Robert Peel, English Prime Minister.\nStation Guy-Concordia : Etienne Guy donated the land in 1815.\nStation Atwater : Edwin Atwater, founder of the District Savings Bank.\nStation Lionel-Groulx : Historian and teacher, contributed to the Quebec nationalist awakening.\nStation Charlevoix : Francois-Xavier Charlevoix, Jesuit and explorer of the Mississippi.\nStation LaSalle : Robert Cavelier de La Salle, the founder of Louisiana.\nStation de l’Église : Refers to the first Saint-Paul Church.\nStation Verdun : Named after Saverdun in France.\nStation Jolicoeur : J. Moses-Jolicoeur, preacher of the of the Notre-Dame-de-Perpetuel-Secours Parish.\nStation Monk : Sir James Monk, Chief Justice of Lower Canada.\nStation Angrignon : Jean-Baptiste-Arthur Angrignon was a Canadian politician and a city councillor.\nOrange Line\nStation Henri-Bourassa : Henri Bourassa, journalist and nationalist politician.\nStation Sauvé : Name of the owner of the land the street crosses.\nStation Crémazie : Octavious Crémazie Librarian and poet.\nStation Jarry : Named for Stanislas Blegnier Jarry pere.\nStation Jean-Talon : Jean Talon, Count d'Orsainville was the first Intendant of New France.\nStation Beaubien : Dr. Pierre Beaubien owned most of the land occupied by the Mount-Royal.\nStation Rosemont : Rosemont's first mayor named it in honor of his mother Rose Philips\nStation Laurier : Sir Wilfrid Laurier was the seventh Prime Minister of Canada.\nStation Mont-Royal : Named street, which was named after the mountain, which was named by Jacques Cartier in 1535.\nStation Sherbrooke : Sir John Coape Sherbrooke, governor from 1816-1818.\nStation Champs-de-Mars : Is a large public green space in Paris, France near the Eiffel Tower.\nStation Place-d’Armes : Where Montreal's defenders stood.\nStation Square-Victoria : Named after the British Monarch\nStation Bonaventure : Named after Giovanni Fidanza Saint-Bonaventure.\nStation Lucien-L’Allier : Rue Lucien l’Allier.\nStation George-Vanier : George Vanier, Governor general of Canada.\nStation Place-Saint-Henri : Named after the Saint-Henri chapel.\nStation Vendôme : Named after a noble French family.\nStation Villa-Maria : Named after the boarding school.\nStation Snowdon : Named after the owner of the land.\nStation Côte-Sainte-Catherine : Chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine.\nStation Plamondon : Named after the painter Antoine Plamondon.\nStation Namur : Named after a city in Belgium.\nStation de la Savane : Named after the street it's located on. Refers to a plot of land that is uncultivated.\nStation du Collège : Named after College Sainte-Croix which is now the cegep Saint-Laurent.\nStation Côte-Vertu : Boulevard de la Côte-Vertu.\nBlue Line\nStation Côte-de-Neiges : Named after a sanctuary that was miraculously covered in snow.\nStation Université-de-Montréal : Named after the campus.\nStation Édouard-Montpetit : Édouard Montpetit was a Quebec lawyer, economist and academic.\nStation Outremont : Founded in 1875 it is located beyond Mount-Royal.\nStation Acadie : Named to commemorate the the bicentennial of the deportation of the Acadians.\nStation Parc : Named after the street where there's a park.\nStation de Castelnau : Named after a french general.\nStation Fabre : Named after the first Archbishop of Montreal.\nStation D’Iberville : Heroic French military figure.\nStation Saint-Michel : The street used to reach all the way to Cote-Saint-Michel.\nYellow Line\nStation Longueuil: Charles Le Moyne de Longueuil the first baron of Longueuil.\nStation Jean-Drapeau: Named after the Mayor of Montreal.