Montreal's Italian Week 2014 Will Be Taking Over Saint-Laurent Street This Weekend
Pizza, gelato, and Ferraris all in one place.
Italians do it best, as the saying goes, and you'll be able to put that statement to the test as you experience all things Italian during Montreal's Italian Week 2014. A celebration of Italian culture, be sure to expect lots of food, cool music and art shows, along with a lot of loud people talking with their hands. That's just how Italians roll.
Running from August 8-17th, Italian Week will be predominately based in Little Italy, as you'd expect. St. Laurent from St. Zotique to Jean Talon (map) will be blocked off, becoming a full-on pedestrian zone, and outfitted with a stage, terrasses, and a few cool exhibitions.
A lot of different events will be going on in Little Italy and throughout the city in the 10-day festival, and below are a few we think will be particularly awesome. Be sure to head to the Italian Week website for all other events and details.
- Best Zeppola Contest: Any dessert-based competition, especially when the treat is deep fried, is gonna be a good time. Help decide on the city's best zeppola on Sunday, August 17th, 2014 at 2pm
- Bocce Tournament: Partake in the classic Italian game as competitions occur all around the city.
- Classic Italian Film Festival: Re-watch some favourites or discover some of the greatest films straight outta Italy.
- CuisineOpéra: Music and food combine, Italian style, as chef Davide Bazzali, prepares classic cultural cuisine while singing some classic opera tunes.
- FIAT 500 car exposition 2014: Car-lovers will get to see the Fiat in many incarnations, from vintage to new gen. Occurs August 15th, 16th, 17th on St. Lo.
- Guided Tours of Little Italy: Get to know the 'hood a little better, offered in French, English, and Italian.
- Moda Sotto le Stelle Fashion Show: St. Laurent becomes a catwalk on Saturday, August 16th as the latest in Italian-Canadian fashion is presented to the public.
- Musical Performance by Anna Liani: Check out the singer-songwriter as she plays a free show on Saturday, August 16th, 2014 at 8:30 on the Loto Quebec stage on St. Lo.
- Outdoor Art Exhibit: See the work of a slew of Italian artist on August 15th, 16th, & 17th, all on display on St. Laurent.