Summer is a surprisingly hazardous season.

Extreme heat and a surge in car accidents make the season particularly dangerous.

ALSO READ: What The Hell Is Happening In Toronto?

But even the most innocuous activities can land you in the hospital. Poisonous plants are common in Canadian yards, neighbourhoods, and natural landscapes.

The unsuspecting gardener or hiker could find himself suddenly convulsing on the ground if he's not careful.

To help you stay safe, here's a list of eight common poisonous plants in Canada:

Via Petrus

Daffodil

Yes, the bright yellow flower that is a staple of springtime gardens in Canada. But while the flower bulb appears edible, consuming it can cause severe nausea and vomitting.


Via Ruud Morijn

Giant Hogweed

Many mistake the hogweed for Queen Anne's Lace, the harmless and bountiful white flower that decorates many Canadian yards. The error can be devastating. Contact with the weed can cause skin burns and permanent blindness.


Via Llmckinne

Bloodroot

This extremely dangerous flower can be found in Nova Scotia and Manitoba. While it appears dainty, the viscous red liquid it produces can kill. If you're lucky, you'll survive contact with the flower with only ruined skin.


Via Emkaplin

Winterberry

The pretty berry provides a nice red accent to green Canadian gardens. But ingestion will cause nausea and low blood pressure that can lead to a stroke or death for people with weak hearts.


Via Schlegelfotos

American Nightshade

The seemingly edible fruit of this plant is lethal. Luckily (I guess) the plant is common to only two provinces, British Columbia and Manitoba.


Via Seramo

American Pokeweed

Great, yet another poisonous "American" plant... 
I kid, the plant is named after the continent and is actually native to eastern Canada. While its fruit is edible, consumption of its leaves and roots can result in seizures in the unsuspecting admirer.


Via Mrivserg

Water Hemlock

Related to parsley, the water hemlock is "arguably one of the most dangerous plants on the continent," according to The Weather Network. Severe illness is certain for those who ingest the plant. Death is also a strong possibility. It's best to stay far away.


Via Fredbro

Poison Ivy

The ubiquitous and famous plant causes rashes and fever. While many think its leaves are shiney, they often are not. Avoid low-lying leaves grouped in threes.

Source


 

Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications