Live news is rolling out surrounding what is now the 17th school shooting in the U.S. in 2018. 

A high school in Great Mills, MD, is on lockdown after a shooting this morning.

READ ALSO: The Canadian Government Wants To Lower The Voting Age To 16

Great Mills High School in St. Mary's County reported the shooting this Tuesday morning. 

The school posted on their website that the incident is contained, and the Sheriff's Office is on the scene. 

Special agents are en route to the reported shooting.

Police are going through classrooms to clear the school, and students will then be escorted out of the school, Freese said.

NBC Washington has reported multiple injuries. 

Some of the injuries were critical, sheriff's officials said. It's not clear how many people were injured at the school about 60 miles southeast of Washington, D.C. Deputies were called to the school just before 8 a.m. 

A Twitter post from the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office asked parents not to report to the school due to the incident, but to go to a high school in nearby Leonardtown instead. 

Video shows police officers responding to shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland. “The event is contained,” according to the school district.

Watching this story develop is very sobering. Gun laws in the U.S. are an absolute must.

There is also a story of reports on Feb. 20 of an upcoming planned shooting at the Maryland High School. Parents and students were concerned over this warning, and police were investigating this not even a month ago. 

Via TheBayNet

More tweets and updates from news sources are coming out. 

Update: CNN

One person is dead after an armed student shot two other students at Great Mills High School in Maryland on Tuesday morning, according to St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron.

Cameron said the school resource officer engaged the shooter and ended the threat, and the shooter was pronounced dead. A male student is in stable condition and a female student is in critical condition, he said.

The school resource officer fired a round at the shooter, and the shooter fired a round as well, but the officer was not injured.

The identity of the shooter still seems to be unclear. I have seen numerous reports and tweets all with different names/individuals mentioned. 

What is clear is that the shooter was pronounced dead after an officer intervened and fired a round at the suspect. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital at 10:41 AM.

Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications