At a press conference Sunday, Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin provided an update on the state of COVID-19 in Montreal.\nShe identified five boroughs and one municipality as the "most affected" areas of the island.\nFive other boroughs are seeing an increase in the number of cases.\nVisit MTLBlog for more headlines.\nAt a press conference Sunday, Mayor Valérie Plante and Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin provided an update on the state of COVID-19 in Montreal. As of March 29, the city and on-island suburbs account for almost half the cases in Quebec — 1,361 of the province's 2,840 infections. But Dr. Drouin made clear that some territories had been harder hit than others.\nThe Montreal boroughs of Côte-des-Neiges—Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, Rosemont—La-Petite-Patrie, Plateau-Mont-Royal, Ville-Marie, and LaSalle, as well as the enclave suburb of Côte-St-Luc all count over 50 cases.\nThough there's a concentration of infections in central districts, Drouin confirmed that there is transmission throughout the region.\nAhuntsic-Cartierville, Montréal-Nord, Rivière-des-Prairies, Pointe-aux-Trembles, and Villeray are all seeing an increase in the number of cases, she said.\nThe press conference followed an emergency declaration on Friday by Mayor Plante.\nThe new state of emergency, she said, would empower the city to better respond to the needs of the homeless population, including through the establishment of temporary shelters and additional beds.\nOn Sunday, the city extended the state of emergency.\nCOVID-19 - 29 mars 2020 | Le point sur la situation à Montréal.\nDre Mylène Drouin, directrice régionale de santé...Posted by Santé Montréal on Sunday, March 29, 2020\nAnd though she reiterated Friday that Montreal is not under lockdown or in quarantine, Quebec Premier François Legault previously asked that no one leave or visit the island.\nIdentifying Montreal and Estrie as the hardest-hit regions in the province, he said that "it is very important that the people of these regions do not go to other regions [...] and other Quebecers must not go there unless it's very necessary."\n#COVID19: aujourd’hui, les élu•es de la @MTL_Ville ont tenu un conseil municipal extraordinaire afin de prolonger l’état d’urgence. Notre administration pourra ainsi prendre les mesures nécessaires pour protéger la santé et la vie des Montréalais•es. (1/3) #polmtl pic.twitter.com/DYqHcMTj51— Valérie Plante (@Val_Plante) March 29, 2020\nQuebec Public Health Director Dr. Horacio Arruda previously called Montreal a "hotspot" of the novel coronavirus in the province.\n#COVID19: if collaboration is not possible, reports will be issued to people who do not respect the measures. If you see a situation that violates public health regulations, you can report it to @SPVM at 911. (3/3) #polmtl— Valérie Plante (@Val_Plante) March 29, 2020\nMontreal police are also prepared to enforce social distancing rules and break up gatherings.\nThousand dollar fines await individuals who refuse to cooperate.\n"The SPVM relies on the good faith of Montrealers to follow all government directives, including those concerning social distancing," a spokesperson told MTL Blog.\nStay tuned for more news.