Legault Says Quebec Isn't 'Ruling Out Closing Bars'
Health officials are evaluating the situation.
At a press conference on Thursday, Premier François Legault announced that the government isn't "ruling out" closing if the province's public health officials deem it necessary.
"We've had some concerns with the reopenings, which is why we tightened the rules," he said.
We're not ruling out closing bars. I've spoken with the public health director who is evaluating the situation and will get back to me with his recommendations soon.
Premier François Legault
Some of the new rules include a, allowing fewer people in the establishment, and the threat of up to for business owners who violate mandatory mask-wearing rules.
Bars reopened across the province on June 25. Since then, several outlets have reported that around 45 new COVID-19 cases in Montreal are directly linked to bars.
Public health officials recommend that everyone who's attended a bar in the Montreal area since July 1 get tested for COVID-19.
There areat testing centres, however.