Major Construction Projects Will Completely Paralyze Montreal Roads This Weekend
Get ready for a whole lotta honking.
As per tradition, Montrealers are in for absolute gridlock on many major highways in and around the city. It'll be especially bad this weekend as we're set for summer's first long weekend.
In anticipation of, construction crews will be working hard to open the first lanes by a promised date of June 24th. Transport Quebec has also planned extensive highway closures.
Montrealers in the city and even people coming from out of town can expect massive delays on most of the city's major inbound highways. The planned construction projects are extensive, so buckle up folks!
So, before you set out this long weekend, make sure to read this! Also, maybe take public transit if you can!
Of course, construction crews and Transport Quebec planned their blitz during one of the busiest long weekends of the year. Fête Nationale weekend always brings people into the city from all over Quebec. Not to mention the handful of.
Drivers should also prepare themselves for another huge series of delays on Canada Day weekend. Motorists are advised to plan accordingly.
As of this weekend though, more than 4 major highway arteries in and around Montreal are expected to be affected. Inbound traffic into the city will experience the worst of it and like usual, South Shore residents will have a difficult time getting into Montreal.
Detailed below are which areas and which highways will be affected by closures and detours this weekend.
These closures will last from Friday at midnight to Tuesday, June 25th at 5 AM:
- Highway 15 South/Decarie Expressway to Highway 20 West
- Highway 15 South/Decarie Expressway to Ville Marie Expressway
- Highway 20 East to Ville Marie Expressway
- Highway 15 North/Decarie Expressway detour through Highway 20 West.
Moreover, after June 24th, northbound lanes on the Decarie expressway will be closed between the Turcot internchange and the NDG tunnel, according to CTV.
These closures will last from from 11 PM to 11 AM all weekend:
- Entrance from Highway 40 East
- Entrance from Metropolitan West
- Entrance from boul. Marcel-Laurin
These closures will begin at 10 PM Friday and continue until Monday morning at 5 AM:
- Complete closure of the northbound lanes.
- Closue of on-ramps from Highway 15 East and West
And even more!
- Boul. Angrignon will be closed to Highway 20 all weekend.
- Rue Notre-Dame will be reduced to one lane between Highway 20 East and boul. Angrignon.
- Only one lane in each direction will be open on the Mercier Bridge from June 26th to July 20th.
It's ok to cry...
This long weekend is expected to be rough for Montreal drivers and city officials are advising everyone to plan ahead.
The headaches will continue into next weekend, unfortunately.
For more information about road closures and construction, please consult Transport Quebec.