Montreal Airport Is Increasing COVID-19 Screenings & Mayor Says She Wishes Feds Did More
Most coronavirus cases in Quebec are from recent travellers.
The Montreal Trudeau Airport is on high alert to prevent any possible spread of COVID-19. Director of Public Health Dr. Myléne Drouin and Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante announced Monday morning that the Trudeau Airport will increase screenings and will add more safety measures to protect the health and safety of all Montrealers. Over the weekend, the in Quebec reached 35.
UPDATE: There are now 41 cases of COVID-19 in Quebec.
A team of health professionals will be at the airport 24/7, aiming to assist travellers and recommended safety measures. The teams will be stationed in the arrivals section, near the baggage claim.
The teams will be equipped with masks and thermometers to monitor people's temperatures as they arrive in Montreal. However, they currently don't have the material to fully equip their teams. A request has been made to Canadian Public Health officials, according to Mayor Plante.
The city has also doubled down on its recommendation that travellers to Montreal, regardless of nationality or destination, enter a self-quarantine for 14 days even if they show no symptoms.
Mayor Plante highlighted that everyone absolutely needs to do this no matter what and where they're coming from.
"We've noted that with most people, all coronavirus cases in Quebec are from individuals who were recently travelling abroad," said Dr. Drouin.
Even domestic travel was affected this weekend, astwo routes from Montreal due to COVID-19.
Justin Trudeau is expected to make an announcement regarding international flight restrictions and the Canadian border this afternoon.
Mayor Plante, however, wishes that the Canadian Government did more for travellers coming into Canada. The Federal government has not yet installed measures for travellers coming from abroad.
"It is really important to respect the recommendations. If you've travelled abroad, stay home, avoid contact, and watch your symptoms," said Dr. Drouin.
Last week, the Government of Quebec ordered a ban on public gatherings of more than 250 people, announced a closure of all municipal and civil facilities, and, pools, and limited restaurant capacity to 50%.
"To combat the spread of the virus, we have to work together to put all the measures necessary," said Mayor Plante.
While 14-day isolation is not yet mandatory, the City of Montreal hopes that people will take this recommendation seriously.
Information on hygiene practices during the pandemic is available on the Government of Canada's website here.
Stay tuned for more updates on COVID-19 in Montreal.