At Friday's public update, Premier François Legault and public health officials announced yet another increase in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Quebec. As of April 17, there are 16,798 confirmed infections, an increase of 941 from April 16. Another 58 deaths were recorded for a total of 688.\nThe number of confirmed cases on April 16 represented an increase of 997 from April 15.\nHe took a different note on Friday, expressing regret that his government had note raised salaries for some CHSLD workers before the crisis.\n"I confess that I myself have been asking myself for several days, several nights: What else should I have done in the last few months, in the year and a half that I have been Prime Minister?" he said.\n"And then I've tried to replay in my head and re-replay in my head what I've been doing for a year and a half."\n"Today, I admit it and take full responsibility, I think that if I had to do it all over again, I would have increased the salaries of the beneficiary attendants more quickly, even without the unions' agreement."\nWhen it comes to senior residences, the Premier admitted that "We entered this crisis ill-equipped and, obviously, the situation deteriorated for all sorts of reasons."\nLegault previously called the situation in CHSLDs and senior residences "critical."\nThe government has also published a list of the hardest-hit residences, including some where the number of COVID-19 cases represents more than 25% of available beds.\n#COVID19 - Au Québec, en date du 17 avril 2020 à 13h, la situation est la suivante :16 798 cas confirmés136 924 analyses négatives (cas infirmés)1076 personnes hospitalisées688 décèsPour en savoir plus sur la situation au Québec : https://t.co/fiqW5E4y8R— Santé Québec (@sante_qc) April 17, 2020\nA lack of workers has exacerbated the situation.\nAs many as 1,800 employees are absent from their posts.\nIn Montreal, according to Santé Montréal, 82 public senior residences have at least one infection.\nThe focus of municipal and provincial officials is now on the protection of this vulnerable population.\n"Our biggest concern is for the senior citizens living in residences and CHSLDs," Montreal Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin said Thursday.\n#COVID19 : Nous continuons de suivre la situation de près à Montréal et annonçons aujourd'hui de nouvelles mesures dans le domaine du transport par taxi et pour informer nos personnes aînées des ressources qui s'offrent à elles. #polmtl pic.twitter.com/1DCxcZXQLn— Valérie Plante (@Val_Plante) April 16, 2020\nThe city will begin sending automated calls to its seniors to point them to resources they may need.\n"I want you to know that if you receive a call, it's not phishing and it's important to listen to the whole message," said Mayor Plante.\nJe veux remercier du fond du cœur tous les médecins et tous les travailleurs de la santé qui ont répondu à notre appel à l’aide pour nos CHSLD. Tout le monde va devoir mettre un peu d’eau dans son vin pour réussir. On doit ça à nos aînés les plus vulnérables. pic.twitter.com/dNJIGpae0h— François Legault (@francoislegault) April 16, 2020\nStay tuned for more news.