At his daily update Tuesday, Legault seemed to rule out the idea of a sudden September reopening for Quebec schools.\nInstead, the government is opting for a "gradual reopening."\nVisit MTLBlog for more headlines.\nAt his press briefing on Tuesday, Premier François Legault said that it wouldn't be a "good idea to wait for September" to reopen Quebec schools. Concerned about a potential second wave of COVID-19, the Premier noted that a "gradual reopening" would be necessary. A definite reopening date, however, wasn't established.\n"It would not be a good idea to wait until September 1 to return 1 million children to schools at the same time," highlighted the Premier.\n"The risk [is that] there would be a contagion among the parents since there would be a lot of people at the same time creating a second wave of COVID-19."\nOn Monday, public health officials were not prepared to say if schools would be reopening in two weeks in time for the previously scheduled May 4 date.\nHowever, the government said that there is "no question of reopening schools in the short term."\n"What we are currently looking at is a gradual reopening," said Legault Tuesday. "So the next few weeks, the next few months, to gradually reopen the economy, daycare centers, and schools."\nHis explanation comes one day after the English Montreal School Board's Parents Committee requested that the government postpone school openings to September "at the earliest."\nPublic health officials are preparing for a deconfinement plan, but nothing is definite yet.\nThe ongoing health crisis has put a strain on all aspects of life, especially the economy.\nThough deconfinement is something everyone is looking forward to, Legault suggested that his first concern is public safety.\n𝗣𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗹𝘂𝘀 𝗱𝗲 𝗱𝗲́𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗹𝘀!👉 https://t.co/bnTA0XrM8k #COVID19 pic.twitter.com/eGzMLaYdJi— Éducation Québec (@EducationQC) March 17, 2020\n"I want us to protect our children, I want us to protect our educators, our teachers. I want everyone to be safe," said Legault.\nREAD ALSO: Quebec's COVID-19 Case Count Has Now Passed 20k With Over 1,000 Deaths\nWhen asked if he would consider reopening the schools later in May or during the summer, Legault didn't rule anything out.\nHowever, he was sure to underline that nothing has been decided yet.\n"We want to ensure for a certain number of days that the situation remains stable. So, to be clear, I still haven't quite got the OK from Dr. Arruda," said the Premier.\nView this post on Instagram Tous ensemble, on doit absolument poursuivre nos efforts pour freiner la propagation du virus. C’est pour ça que j’ai lancé un appel aux jeunes pour respecter les consignes de santé publique. Ce n’est pas le temps de faire des partys ! Je demande à nos leaders, nos artistes, nos sportifs et nos influenceurs d’utiliser leurs réseaux sociaux pour porter ce message. Propage l’info, pas le virus. #onseprotege A post shared by François Legault (@francoislegault.pm) on Mar 17, 2020 at 2:17pm PDT\nStudents and teachers at all levels, meanwhile, have had to contend with the sudden challenge of remote learning, complicated by unequal access to online resources.\nAs a result and for the "sake of fairness," Education Minister Jean-François Roberge announced Monday that cégep students won't need to worry about their R-Scores this semester.\nStay tuned for more news.