The 17 Most Ridiculous "Unwritten Driving Laws" Of Montreal
How annoying is this?
Let's be real: Montreal drivers are probably the worst on the continent.
To be fair, horrendous infrastructure and constant construction doesn't help. Not only do road closures and detours force drivers to employ maneuvers they would not normally use, they also tend to frustrate already agitated commuters.
TL;DR In a popular Reddit post, Montrealers are listing what they feel are the city's "unwritten driving laws." Below we've compiled some of the most hilarious points of Montreal road etiquette.
Just take a look atto see how Montrealers have come to adapt to the city's road conditions. The resigned disdain with which we view our roads has become a staple of the Montreal cultural landscape.
From these unique road conditions have emerged a driving etiquette unlike any in the country, nay, the continent.
There are certainly some "unwritten road laws" that are familiar to Montreal residents but baffle visitors – call them "cultural quirks."
Such was the subject of a recent Reddit post that, since its publication earlier today, has already garnered one hundred up-votes and over one hundred fifty comments.
"What are some of the unwritten driving rules in Montreal?" u/kalebdraws playfully asks in their post title.
Here is a list of some of the most hilarious "unwritten" laws that every driver should respect:
1. "The Green Light Honk. - If you're more than two cars behind someone at a stop light and it turns green, you are obligated to honk your horn RIGHT AWAY. Just in case the first car driver didn't see." u/kalebdraws
2. "Crosswalks Are For Cars. - When stopping at an intersection, if there is a crosswalk, stop your car over the line. It is preferable to have at least half your car across the crosswalk, but simply putting the car nose in enough to show pedestrians don't belong there is just fine." u/kalebdraws
3. "When waiting at a red light, don't turn on your turning signal until the light goes green, so as to trick the person behind you in thinking you're going straight." SimplyHuman
4. "When driving in the right lane on the highway and you reach an on-ramp, be sure to drive right next to the person trying to merge, and adjust your speed to match theirs. If the merging car is ahead of you and have their turn signal on, they're signaling you to speed right passed them as fast as you can." MainHaze
5. Turn "left/right from any lanes. Need to turn right and the rightmost lane is free? Don't worry about it, just turn from the second right most while waiting for the green/pedestrians to cross. Blocking cars that are going straight, who cares?" elpiloto100
6. "In [a] residential area making a full stop is not mandatory. You can just slow down and if there's no other car coming you can speed right off. And if there's a car in front of you which doesn't know about this "unwritten rule", when he does his full stop, you can overtake him from the left opposite direction and you don't have to do a stop at all." R_Hatta
7. "During rush hour, when the light turns yellow, continue through the intersection and park in the middle of it if needed to block traffic in all directions." Rookvrouw_Joke
8. "When you exit the 40 east to go on Pie IX, cause as much mayhem as you can. You dont have any choice, its the way it is." Faitlemou
9. "You can park literally anywhere you want for free and for as long as you'd like by turning on your hazard flasher lights." qwertysac
10. "If there’s room for your car to fit around a ‘street closed’ blockade, it’s not really closed." koalameat
11. "The white line goes directly underneath your car." CaptainCanusa
12. "100km/h zones are actually 120km/h zones. 70km/h zones are actually 100km/h zones." CallMeFeed
13. "One shall always test a motorcyclist's reflex by doing a slow left turn at intersection." Future_is_now
14. "You are free to U-TURN anywhere you choose, even across the pedestrian crossing when pedestrians are crossing!" foodideaplease
15. "If someone stops on a yellow light, you MUST honk and shout at them." Iwantav
16. "If you're a taxi driver, you absolutely MUST stop right in front of your passenger destination. Even if there's an empty spot a couple of feet away, you MUST block the entire street." madspiritual
17. I'll add my own rule, too: Never manage to parallel park on the first try. ALWAYS take as long as you can and make sure to block the ENTIRE street.
Stay safe out there! And definitely do NOT follow these rules!