Legault is back at it with his joking advice for the Montreal Canadiens. A day after throwing some friendly shade at the team at a press conference, the Premier joined team general manager Marc Bergevin and forward Jonathan Drouin outside Montreal's Cadillac green metro line station to hand out masks to STM customers. In a Twitter post, Legault explains that he "took advantage of the occasion to propose two scenarios" to Bergevin:

"1. We aim for the Cup in the short term, we keep Shea Weber and Carey Price" or "2. We aim for the Cup in the medium term, we exchange Weber and Drouin for young people."

"Unfortunately, [Bergevin] didn't respond," Legault wrote, probably with a wink.

On Thursday, the Premier debuted his new Habs-themed face mask sent to him by Shea Weber. Legault previously said that Weber should be traded.

"I guess [Weber] is not feeling resentful that I suggested trading him in January!" he said.

He also took aim at the team's abysmal standing this season.

"While I'm on the subject," he continued, "if the Canadiens win the playoffs, we'll, unfortunately, be unable to have a Stanley Cup parade this summer, just to be clear." 

"But we're not working hard on a plan B."

Legault, Bergevin, and Drouin's mask giveaway is just the beginning of a much bigger effort to give face coverings to STM passengers.

Beginning May 25, the transit company will be handing out free reusable masks to riders at 39 metro stations, including the busiest and those in current infection "hot zones."

Quebec's transport ministry now "strongly recommends" wearing a face covering on public transit.

In his daily press briefings, Legault encourages Quebec residents to wear masks whenever they leave the house.

Mask-wearing is not mandatory, but public health and government officials now include it in their hygiene recommendations to the public, in addition to hand-washing and cough etiquette.

May 25 is also the date that retail stores with their own entrances from the outside will finally reopen in Montreal.

Between May 22 and May 24, a number of public spaces and sports facilities will also reopen to the public.

Quebec is allowing outdoor gatherings of a maximum of 10 people, like BBQs, as of Friday.

Despite these advances, city leaders ask Montrealers to continue to follow public health guidelines.

Mayor Plante has said that masks need to become a habit for residents.

Stay tuned for more news and Legault antics.

Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications