30 Free Things To Do During Montreal's Nuit Blanche 2019
Time to plan the best and brightest night of the year.
Nuit Blanche is one of the best nights of the year in Montreal. For one night only, on March 2, over 200 mostly free activities are at your disposal. Museums, bars, cultural centres: all of these are at your disposal, putting on fantastic exhibitions and shows to celebrate the Montreal art scene.
Each year, close to 300,000 people brave the winter night to experience a night like no other. The metro will be running all night, making it easier to travel to the 150 destinations that host events. This year is extra special because it celebrates the 20th anniversary of this beloved tradition.
The Nuit Blanche's website has a ton of itinieraries for you that vary depending on what your interests are, and you should definitely check that out. However, if you're on a budget and looking to do only the free events, I've got you. Below you can find a curated list of the best activities happening during Nuit Blanche.
TL;DR This year's Nuit Blanche is hosting over 200 activities in 150 different locations. Below you can find a curated list of the best free activities happening during Nuit Blanche.
- Futurist Film Projection Night: head to the Artexte for an evening of futuristic film productions, with beverages and popcorn provided!
- Outremont Theatre is inviting you to a screening on-loop of the movie "Les Lions d'Or," presented at the Festival de Cannes.
- "The Night Will Be Short" is an evening of short film screenings at the Cinemateque Villeray, about nature, ecology, feminism, and many other topics. Viewers can enter and leave at their whim.
- The Wonderful Cinéma du Parc will be screening Quebec short films selected for the latest edition of their online festival
Click here for all of the cinematic events.
- Learn how to vogue! This event will be happening from 6pm to 1am.
- Cat's Corner will be teaching you how to swing dance! A new country will be highlighted every hour.
- Join Studio Tango Montreal for an hour-long, beginner-level tango lesson. Tangorama will be hosting an all-night dance-a-thon! Fun!
- NEON HOOLA HOOPS! In one room, a hoopmontreal instructor will teach you the basics. In the other room, you'll be able to "neo-hoops" to the beat of a live DJ.
- Go watch a breakdance battle! The best of the best will be competing against each other that night.
Click here for all dance activities.
- The epicenter of the night, located at Place des Festivals, has a stage that will be hosting artists all night long
- Two churches, the Christ Church Cathedral and the St. John's United Church, will allow festival goers to warm up, grab a snack, and listen to music.
- Explore the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal's new space and enjoy classical music in a whole new way. Attend one of three performances of Transfigured Tube and experience virtual reality in between the performances.
- Head to HELM microbrasserie for a night of music and beer. They brewed beer specifically for this evening!
- This plateau location is hosting a night that looks to québécois music past and present. You can't miss it!
- Salon Mogador is hosting a night of dance music of Arab nations from the 70s, 80s, and 90. Live sets will be offered.
Click here for a list of all music events.
Games and Sports
- An urban slide will be set up in the heart of Place des Arts. Time for grown-ups to act like kids again...
- From 5pm to 2am, head to the Olympic park for: life-size games, a chalet area, a snowskate park, a skating rink and a mini-slide.
- Head to Horizon Roc to climb in the dark, attend a dance/climbing performance, an aerial silk acrobatic show, and witness demonstrations by performing climbers
- The Olympic Park sports center will be hosting the "most athletic inflatable course in town." I'm intrigued: are you?
- 2 skating events: one at the Atrium and the other at the Aréna Saint-Louis.
- Enjoy free games at La Nuit Ludique and grab a hot beverage if you're feeling parched.
Click here for a list of all sports events.
- Cyber Jungle is a tea salon transformed into an immersive UV installation. Come to admire the work of artists Élaine Gilbert and Paty Mua, stay for the UV face painting.
- The Magic of Orchids will explore different species of orchids with an exhibition where visitors can think about the concept of ecosystem through a creative workshop with two cultural mediators
- "Une nuit à l'oeuvre" showcases the work of UQAM master's students in Visual Arts and Media.
- B*I*N*G*O is a way get to know First Nations languages with a bingo night, just as they happen in First Nations communities.
- From Hand to Digital is an experience in digital jewelry making, where you can come and order your own custom-made band ring.
- Alive At Night is a flashlit tour of McGill's Redpath museum. Night at the museum anyone?
- Modern Women is an exhibit by Vincent Cordo, who depicts women travelling the world — from Porto to the coasts of Bordeaux, accompanied by the great wines of the world. Wine will be served to guests, who can watch the artist paint live.
- FuturARTma is a fantastic modern art exhibit you ABSOLUTELY have to check out.
- Underground performances, installations, an exhibition of about 50 artists and free artistic mediation will be offered all evening. On the theme "True or False," discover bold and unusual artistic projects!
Click here for a list of all visual arts events.