Let's get real right now - you're hungry, aren't you? Don't lie to us Montreal, we know you love to eat.
Although there are tons of places you can go get food at - especially if you're hungover this morning - we also know that you're damn lazy and will not be leaving your house. Or maybe, you woke up next to a special someone who's also hungry and you're planning to cook up a storm in order to impress your 'friend'.
We're about to help you transform into a dazzling culinary french toast genius. Just one basic thing you need to know: how to french the toast.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla extract and, if you want, some spices. Dunk bread in egg mixture until it's completely soaked through. Heat lightly-oiled skillet, place bread in pan and cook until both sides are golden.
Now that you know the basics, it's time to get fancy.
Apple-Maple French Toast
Ingredients: Bread, cinnamon, apples, maple syrup
- French some toast (with cinnamon), throw some apples and butter in a skillet to caramelize, add maple syrup and cinnamon, saute the soaked bread and then serve, topping with the apple-maple mixture.
Apricot-Stuffed French Toast
Ingredients: Italian bread (cut into 1-inch thick slices), apricot jam, cream cheese
- Slice the bread to create little pockets, mix the jam and cream cheese, fill the little pockets, then french the bread - serve with syrup and (best part!) bacon.
Baked Stuffed French Toast
Ingredients: Rustic bread loaf (cut into slices), ham, gruyere
- Slice the bread to create pockets, stuff with ham and cheese, soak bread for 15 mins/side in egg mixture, top with remaining ham and cheese, bake until cheese becomes melted deliciousness (20 mins) then broil until bread is toasted (2 mins). Pour on that maple syrup and enjoy.
Banana-Nut French Toast
Ingredients: Walnuts, heavy cream, bananas, dark brown sugar, slices of bread (brioche or challah)
- Toast and chop walnuts, mix with bananas and sugar, create sandwiches with the banana-walnut mix as filling, put in baking dish and let soak in regular egg mixture, fry and then keep in oven until you're ready to serve. Bonus: heat remaining banana mixture until sugar is melted and pour over french toast.
Pear-Stuffed French Toast
Ingredients: Pears, heavy cream, challah bread
- Mash together butter and pears, mix eggs, cream and vanilla, make a pocket in each slice and stuff with pear butter, soak in egg mixture, cook the soaked bread. Serve warm and you'll have the best start to your day!
French Toast with Red Wine Nectarines
Ingredients: Red wine, nectarines, country-style bread and vanilla ice cream.
- Boil wine and sugar until syrup-like, take off heat and add nectarines, french some toast (aka, country-style bread) as usual, put on plate, top with nectarines and ice cream! Great for breakfast or dessert (really, any time of day).
Savory French Toast BLT
Ingredients: BACON, heavy cream, chives, crusty bread, lettuce, tomatoes
- Cook the bacon (+ more for snacking), french the crusty bread, layer lettuce, tomato and bacon on each slice, sprinkle with chives.
Apple-Butter French Toast Sandwiches
Ingredients: Pumpkin pie spice, apple butter, whole wheat sandwich bread, confectioner's sugar, eggs & egg whites
- Mix milk, eggs, egg whites, regular sugar, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice, soak bread slices in mixture, add to skillet and cook til golden brown, spread half the slices with apple butter, top with remaining slices (in standard sandwich style) and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
Baked French Toast with Raspberry Sauce
Ingredients: Challah or brioche, raspberries, smoked chicken sausage.
- Let bread soak in egg mixture, transfer to baking sheet and bake until set in the middle, combine raspberries with remaining sugar, mashing lightly. Serve french toast with raspberry sauce and, obviously, delicious sausage.
Brioche French Toast with Asparagus and Orange Beurre Blanc
Ingredients: Asparagus, olive oil, pepper, coarse salt, brioche slices, white wine, orange juice, shallots, cream, orange zest.
- Boil wine, half the OJ and shallots until reduced, add cream, lower heat, add butter, strain into a bowl and add remaining OJ and zest, season with salt and pepper - you've just made Orange Beurre Blanc. Asparagus and oil on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, roast til golden. Make the french toast, top each slice with asparagus and drizzle with orange beurre blanc. Take pictures to post all over Instagram and make the world jealous.