Photo cred - Melt Bar and Grill
Montreal is home to many decadent dishes, comfort foods that will leave your heart, stomach, and arteries all filled to the brim. Grilled cheeses are on that list of Montreal greasy delicacies, but Melt Bar and Grill, a Ohio-based chain, blows any grilled cheese available in MTL out of the water.
Using the concept of "comfort food dressed up" Melt has an astoundingly creative menu of grilled cheeses, with daily specials that will blow your taste buds' brains, you know, if they had brains. Since 2006, Melt has been making masterfully making GC's, and while we can't have 'em here in Montreal, we sure as hell wish we could.
To make your stomach envious of anyone in Ohio, check out these GC Melts (photos taken from Melt's Instagram) that make up 10 grilled cheeses you'll wish you could eat in Montreal.
- A peanut butter and banana grilled cheese sandwich, deep-fried with added bacon. A GC fit for a king.
The Caribbean Jerk War Pig
- Pulled pork cooked with jerk seasoning paired with mango-habanero chutney, purple slaw, and sweet fried plantaines, with plenty of melty Pepper-jack cheese.
The 2 Bagger
- Spicy sausage, french fries, creamy coleslaw, and a heckuva lot of cheese.
The Melt Challenge
- 13 different kinds of cheeses, a mess of fries and coleslaw, all fit in three pieces of bread. Oozey ecstasy.
The TMNT Cowabunga Pizza Roll Melt
- Turtle power taken to the max with deep-fried cheese pizza rolls, homemade marinara, tons of basil, pesto cream sauce, and provolone & Romano cheese.
The Purple Parma
- Eggplant Parmesan in GC form, with breaded eggplant, zesty marinara, roasted garlic and provolone & Romano cheese.
The Chicken 'n Waffles Melt
- A belgian waffle stacked with fried chicken, sriracha butter (that's a thing!?), pepper-Jack cheese, all served with maple syrup for dipping.
- All mexican delights in your mouth at once: a cheese enchilada, refried beans, spiced corn tortilla, and cheddar cheese, served with a side of salsa and cilantro-lime sour cream.
The Black Cat
- Pepper-Jack cheese melted over blackened Catfish, paired with a jalapeno tartar sauce, coleslaw and sliced tomatoes.
The Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Melt's basic "Kindergarten" GC with bacon, mozzarella wedges, and jalapenos added in.
BONUS: Hangover Fries
- Montreal's breakfast poutine has nothing on this hot bed of fries served with seared pork belly, mozzarella cheese curd, a fried eggs, all drenched in gravy.
For more on all things delicious, follow Michael on Twitter @MDAlimonte