Crispy Wonton Mozzarella Sticks You'll Eat Until You Hate Yourself
So much yes.
Finally, this weekend is looking bright and sunny. With a high of 27°C and little to no humidity, it's the perfect time to sit out on your back patio and BBQ it up with some friends. While a big summertime pot luck sounds like a delicious idea in theory, in reality you end up with a few burgers and a whole lot of guacamole. And as much as I love me some guac, I can only eat so much of it. So Hannah, how do you avoid this mushy green catastrophe?
Here is your answer.
Crispy wonton mozzarella sticks. Let that sink in for a second. It sounds good and is equally as tasty. This recipe is the love child of Neighbour Food Blog and Heather Likes Food, so we have them to thank for this masterpiece. This requires little time, minimal ingredients and a very hungry crowd of people.
What You'll Need:
- 8 string cheeses or about a 12 oz. block of cheese
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg white
- About 1-2 cups oil, for frying
- Sea Salt
- Marinara sauce- for dipping of course!
How You Make It:
- Cut your string cheese into 3 equal pieces, or cut your block of cheese into 24 pieces that are about ½ an inch wide and 1½ inches long.
- Place a wonton wrapper in front of you in the shape of a diamond. Use a pastry brush to brush egg white on the surface of the wrapper. Place string cheese in the center. Fold in the north and south diamond corners then take the eastern corner and roll it around the cheese until the whole thing is completely covered. Seal up the corners. If the seals don't feel secure, brush with a little more egg white and press together. Repeat with remaining cheese and wrappers.
- Heat fry oil in a deep saute pan to about 375 degrees. Carefully drop mozzarella sticks into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from oil and place on a plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and grated Parmesan. Serve HOT with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Photo cred - neighbourfoodblog