10 Types Of Montreal Students During Finals
We all have that one friend during exams.
Photo cred - Françis
Ah...Finals! That inevitable and recurring time that comes with the usually blissful student lifestyle. Time to make up for that slacking and/or procrastinating you’ve done over the semester. During this period of stress and cramming, we see common types of student species emerge in the greater Montreal area. Which one are you ?
1. The Social Media Whore
- They spend hours in the library that can all be broken down to: 10% studying and 90% on Facebook, texing, Instagram, Tinder, Twitter and/or Googling random things.
- They're always on “study-break” eating at that new spot in the Plateau and posting about the struggle of finals on Facebook and Instagram.
2. The Francophone in an English school
- During finals they wonder what the hell they we’re thinking when they made the decision to go to Concordia or McGill. They’ll ask everyone to go over their paper twice.
- You see their struggle but they somehow end up with some of the best grades in the course.
3. The "Asian"
- Finals? Ain’t nothing but a g-thang baby. They were in class listening quietly; they study properly and understand everything. Piece of cake. When you discuss finals with this one, they are so zen and confident that it gives you some sort of panic attack.
4. The Squatter
- They have basically moved into the library. No matter what time or what day it is, they will always be at the library. They’ve brought a lifetime supply of snacks, taken enough space for two, and dressed in an outfit that is basically pajamas.
- You’ll find a lot of these at the Concordia library…and quite a few of them don’t even go there.
5. The Casanova
- What exams? It’s hunting season. For this student, it’s the perfect time to pick up chicks/dudes. Their techniques consist of asking you for help in studying (or offering their help) and suggesting all nighters, during which they constantly try to make deep conversation.
- The Casanova has probably already tried getting your number at the library or at the coffee shop. You can also find them on Tinder/Grindr looking to get some in the library.
6. The Houdini
- The one that just…Poof! and disappears during exams. There’s basically no sign of life whatsoever. No calls, no texts, or no interest in society for a while.
- When exams are over, you’ll know it! They are ready to resume that Montrealer lifestyle and have a late night out with their peeps.
7. The Ninja-Genius
- Let’s be honest, we all secretly hate this one. While you almost got nosebleeds listening so hard in class, carefully taking all those notes and studying for hours... this person was barely in class, wasn’t taking notes, and probably didn’t study (or did it just the night before).
- You end up with an average grade and they get an A+. Bastards
8. The Emo/The Grinch
- It’s all just way too much to handle! The stress of exam period causes them to be super depressed or super angry. Either way, everything suddenly sucks. Usually accompanied by an existential crises like “Should I change program? Am I happy? What does it all mean?” and so on.
- This all passes though, and after exams it’s all sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops again. You'll find them somewhere on Saint-Laurent partying in no time after exams.
9. The Procrastinator
- They will show up to half the classes and have no idea what on earth is going on. They have last minute panic attacks and you usually get a few texts or calls from them the day before the exam at 1AM. (saying something similar to “Yo! What’s on tomorrow exam?” or “ We have an exam tomorrow?!? Can you send me your notes?”)
- Because the universe can be fair, the procrastinator usually doesn't do so hot on the exam. (or has "doctors-noted" his way to push back the exam)
10. The Cheerleader
- This person is so positive during finals, it’s scary and unreal. During exam time, their Facebook posts will consist of motivational quotes about success, perseverance, and education. Or, even worse, 90's song quotes superimposed on a picture of a sunset.
- They are also hate-ably well organized too.