13 Of The Stupidest Laws That Actually Exist In Quebec
'sti qu'on est cons.
Like most places in the world, Quebec has some old outdated laws that seem pretty ridiculous. And if that was the case for all of these laws, then this article wouldn't be a bid deal.
But the fact that some of these laws were updated as recently as 2015, makes them all the more insane.
Of course just because they exists doesn’t necessarily mean they are enforced, but that doesn’t make them any less stupid.
1. French words must be bigger than English words on all commercial signs
We must be the only place in the world stupid enough to regulate something as meaningless as font sizes.
2. You can't kill Sasquatch
Actually this is valid Canada-wide. So if you happen to find Big-Foot, please try to keep your composure and don't club it to death. He's worth more if captured alive anyways.
3. Melting snow or ice with drinking water is against the law
I'm just trying to figure out why someone would try to melt ice with water. Aren't you just going to make things worse the next day when all that water freezes?
4. Driving a car with a "For Sale" sign is forbidden
I guess you don't want to tempt other drivers to read the info on the sign while they're driving. In that case, billboards and funny bumper stickers should be illegal too.
5. It's illegal to park in front of your own garage
I guess this is to make sure you don't accidentally block your own path. Think about about how mad you'd be at yourself.
6. The Queen Elizabeth Hotel must provide hay for your horse when you rent a room
Anyone have a horse I can borrow? I really want to test this one out.
7. It's against the law to remove a band-aid in public
That's why everyone waits until they enter a public pool to take them off.
8. You can't wash your car in the middle of the street
I guess we lack common sense in Quebec, so this needed to be regulated.
9. Covering your license plate with plastic or glass is a no-no
Shame on you for trying to keep your license plate shinny and white.
10. It is forbidden to pay for something that costs more than 50 cents with pennies
Who the hell walks around with 50 pennies?
11. You're not allowed to kill a sick person by scaring them
Just to be clear, stabbing is still okay.
12. Pretending to practice witchcraft will get you in serious trouble
You'd better hope that your magical powers are real.
13. Kids under 7 can’t be left alone a in car
If I had to follow my mom into every store she shopped at when I was growing up, I would have lost my mind. I understand toddlers shouldn't be left in cars, but how helpless do we assume 7 year old kids are?