Photo cred - tripadvisor.ca
It ain't easy living in this city. Okay, rent is cheap, the people are chill, and everyone loves to drink, so in some ways, Montreal living is a breeze. In other ways, however, living in Montreal is a straight up struggle. Montreal's Weather, public transit, and the city's culture can combine to be frustrating and create some strugz only a Montrealer will understand.
We've compiled 40 struggles only a Montrealer will understand, so we can share the pain a little. Read 'em below.
1. Trying to get a text through while going through Berri station on the metro
2. Utter disgust at the creation of a poutine without cheese curds
3. The inability to use the same STM ticket to transfer between bus routes
4. Choosing between what to do on Sunday: Piknic Eletronik or Tams?
5. Finding bagels from any other city grossly large, bland, and with stupid toppings that aren't sesame or poppy seed
6. Missing the SAQ close time, then the SAQ Express close time, and realizing all hope for hard liquor is lost
7. Dealing with a city-wide epidemic of shwasted 18 year olds every September for Frosh
8. Metro closures during rush hour
9. Nearly falling down icy exterior spiral staircases
10. The (at times) gut wrenching after effects of $2 chow mein
11. The supremely disgusting vomit of one who has just eaten $2 chow mein
12. Not being able to comprehend how other provinces don't let you buy beer and wine at the dep/grocery store
13. Crossing an intersection and dealing with cars willing to hit you to make a turn
14. Turning at an intersection in a car and pedestrians won't give you a chance to go through
15. Random protests and the accompanied fear of being nearby when the riot police bust out their batons
16. The emotional roller coaster that is being a Habs fan
17. Having to choose between music festivals in the summer
18. The epic long lines to get a student STM OPUS card in September
19. Seeing people running up Mount Royal and feeling guilty while you sit and drink wine in the park
20. Concern for the wellbeing of girls on St. Laurent only wearing tights in -30 degree weather
21. Needing to squeeze a year's worth of outdoor fun and enjoyment into 3 months of summer
22. Not knowing what food truck is going to show up at a spot
23. Being enticed (or disgusted) by random whiffs of weed smoke at any street corner
24. Missing Hugh Jackman and Joseph Gordon Levitt while they were/are in Montreal
25. Tourists crowding intersections by actually obeying traffic lights
26. Getting from downtown to the West Island on public transit, urg...
27. Being forced to be part of a bachelor/ette party dare on Crescent
28. The ongoing argument of where to get the best poutine
29. Trying to hit on someone who doesn't speak both English or French
30. Being slyly forced to order more beer at Biftek due to the intense thirst caused by their free popcorn
31. Finally finding a cab that accepts debit or credit, and being charged extra for it
32. Using your phone in the dead cold winds of winter
33. The instant fear you get in autumn anytime you hear one of the Starks say "Winter is coming"
34. Going to a dep that doesn't have your brand and being forced to get Boreale
35. Not getting a spot on the bar terrasse on a sunny day
36. The never ending argument of who makes the best smoked meat sandwich
37. Banking on a BIXI to get home from Parc Jean-Drapeau only to find they're all taken
38. When the yellow line is closed and you need to take the awful shuttle bus
39. Having to deal with the stench of horse poo in the Old Port
40. Not understanding the Coderre-craze
What are your Montreal struggles?
For more on all things Montreal, follow Michael on Twitter @MDAlimonte