Downtown is the star of Montreal, but tons of people who work and party in the city's core actually live in the West Island, the
unofficial name for all the towns + burroughs on the West end of the island of Montreal. West Island residents may come into the
downtown area for the nightlife scene, but they always return to their quieter neighborhood and homes. Why? Well, there are a fair
amount of perks about not living downtown. Plus, they're are some not-so-cute elements about living in Montreal's busiest areas.
Which one is superior? The hustle and bustle of downtown, with all the bars and drunken folk? Or the more low-key West Island neighborhoods, where you can actually sleep safe and peacefully? We're gonna break it down with some pros and cons of West Island vs. Downtown living.
- You're able to escape the constant buzz of the city
- Alot less violent, with not as many robberies and break ins
- A strong sense of community in the west island burroughs
- Tendency to stay in rather then go out because downtown is is fucking far
- Dorval airport can be loud as fuck
- Not having to spending $70 on cab rides home after a night out
- Busses and metros are so much more convenient and accesible
- Night life is all around you, so you can get drunk anywhere
- Masses of bros and biddies clogging up the streets
- Rush hour traffic makes driving and bussing a bitch
- Much better accessibility for students with campuses downtown and metro-action
- Easier to communicate for anglophones
- No drunken ruckus near your home
- Tons of SAQs to choose from
- Feel bad doing sketchy things with so many families around
- Having access to a car is nearly essential, otherwise: long ass metro/bus rides
- Better shopping with tons of boutiques and the Eaton Centre + underground malls
- Food available nearly 24/7
- You get to live blocks away from friends
- Drunken people being obnoxious and loud
- More dangerous in general since the sketchy folk congregate downtown
Okay, so you can't really declare an exact winner, it mostly depends on what you're priorities are. A wise man once put the difference between the two best:
Basically the west island is the equivalent of being in a relationship. It's safe, predictable, cheap, and comfy.
Downtown is like being single. Its new, exciting, expensive, and sometimes dangerous.
So where do you prefer to live readers? Do you love the comfort of the West Island, or are you all about downtown? Pick a side in the comments below.