You've seen this logo everywhere, it's on flags, posters, buildings, street signs, letters and murals. Hell, one of my co-workers who sits just a few feet away even has one tattooed on his arm. But how much do you know about this logo? Was it just a random doodle someone came up with or there actually a meaning behind it?
Well as it turns out the logo does have meaning. So sit back and enjoy these 10 facts about Montreal's logo.
1. The logo was adopted in 1981.
2. It was created by Georges Huel et Associés Inc.
3. It was meant to be a part of a visual identification program to promote Montreal's image.
4. Each petal is a combination of V and M for Ville de Montreal.
5. The V and M form 4 hearts which represent the love we have for our city.
6. The 4 hearts come together to form a flower.
7. The intersection in the middle is meant to show that Montreal is a crossroad of communication and civilization.
8. The line that surrounds the logo is meant to show how Montreal is an island.
9. The curvy, "aquatic" lines and intertwining of the flower represents the richness of Montreal's natural environment.
10. In 2003 the same firm was hired to update the logo. At first the flower was centered on top of the words "Ville de Montreal". The updated version has the logo placed on the right and "Ville de Montreal" has been replaced by "Montreal"
Photo cred - 4vector
Photo cred - cine-asie