Photo cred - Matias Garabedian
Montreal’s summer sprouts some great public and farmers markets. This short list is an unranked compilation of some of the best markets this summer, with no official distinction made between public and farmers' markets. Whether you’re a Montrealer looking for some fresh food in a fun space, or a tourist looking to experience something French-ish, these markets will be the lightning bugs in your jar! Please tell us about markets we've missed!
1. Jean-Talon Market7070 Ave. Henri JulienThis public market features re-selling from vendors within the city, as well as lots of fresh local produce, cheeses, meats, fish, etc. Although it is open year-round, Jean-Talon is back to full strength during the summer, with full outdoor stalls selling fresh Quebec produce. Click here for hours of operation etc.
2. Lufa Farms
Montreal’s own Lufa Farms offers deliverable packages of local produce. How local? Lufa Farms grows lots of food right here in the city in rooftop greenhouses. They also source from many surrounding farms. The entire project is organic and run sustainably. With tons of pick up points across the city, check out Lufa with your produce orders of 30$ or more! Click here for hours of operation etc.
3. Marche Bio OutremontDollard Ave., between Van Horne and LajoieEvery Sunday from Mid-August to October organic foods of all kinds are available for purchase from kiosks on Dollard Ave., between Van Horne and Lajoie. Meats are sold as well as produce. Check back with this website for specific dates when it gets closer to autumn! Click here for more info.
4. Marche Fermier5039 rue St.-Dominqiue, coin Ave. LaurierThis local farmers market is open from June 15-November 2. Marche Fermier is a great place to pick up fresh local produce. Marche Fermier believes strongly in using sustainable practices, and provides an education concerning environmental and social consequences of modern food production. Save the bees! Click here for full hours.
5. Le Maître Gourmet: Marche de Quartier1520 Ave. Laurier EstGrown out of Le Maître Gourmet comes this lovely Saturday and Sunday summer market. Beginning Saturday June 7, this market will feature organic local fruits and vegetables.Click here for hours of operation etc.
6. Runaway Creek FarmRunaway Creek Farm 5 Thomson Road East, Arundel QuébecAlthough Lufa Farms can provide you with produce from Runaway, a short trip to Arundel to pick up some organic fruits and veggies is really fun. This beautiful farm features 200 acres of natural paradise including a small lake, picnic areas, and hiking trails. Click here for more information and photos.
7. Côte-des-Neiges Farmers Market4818 Chemin de la Côte-des-NeigesThis 24/hour farmers market is a Montreal original. Only steps from the Metro, this is a great place for spring-summer-fall fruits and veggies. Lots of good pumpkins, gourds, and squash for Halloween. The market also sells trees at Christmas but is closed for much of the winter.
8. Lachine Market1875 Notre-DameThis diminutive public market is a great downtown location for year-round produce, cheese, and pastries. Click here for full hours.
9. Maisonneuve Market4445 Ontario EstThis Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve public market houses everything you want and expect: a gardener, baker, butcher, fishmonger, etc., year-round. Click here for full hours.
10. Marché Saint-Jacques1125 Ontario Est.This year-round market is housed in a rather incredible old building, but much like Atwater, the selection can leave something to be desired. Click here for full hours.
11. N.D.G Neighborhood Seasonal Market at Co-op la Maison Verte5785 Sherbrooke OuestFrom roughly May-October this Co-op sets up a temporary market with local produce, cheeses, and more! Click here for full hours.
12. L’Autre Marché Angus2600 rue William TremblayThis is the Angus location of L’Autre Marché, a lovely institution that features local and organic produce as well as other foods. This true farmers market is a great place to come and enjoy the summer from June 13-October 17! Click here for full hours.
13. L’Autre Marché Rosemère339 chemin de la Grande Côte Stationnement de la bibliothèqueThis Rosemère farmers market is open from August 9-October 11. This location is a great spot for autumn parking-lot picnics with pumpkin, squash, and much more! Click here for full hours.
14. Our Little Farm550 River Road, L’Ange-Gardien, QC, J8L 0G1Our Little Farm is an excellent example of community supported agriculture (CSA). To join a CSA customers pay in advance for a share of produce. This way, every week the farmers drop off just-plucked veggies for consumers to pick up at drop-off points, in pre-specified baskets. A CSA allows the consumer a real connection to their food, a chance to visit the farm, and excellent prices on the freshest produce. This CSA operates from late June to late October. Click here for more info on Our Little Farm. And click here for more info on all Quebec CSAs near you.
15. Santropol Roulant111 Roy EstSantropol Roulant sells vegetables from their farm and two urban gardens in the lower Plateau-Mont Royal neighborhood as well as at the Little Burgundy Citizen's Market. The Regular basket is priced at $37.50 per basket for a total of $825 and feeds 3-4 people (10-12 items per basket). Santropol Roulant is part of Equiterre’s CSA network and has farm visits!
BONUS: Atwater Market 138 Avenue AtwaterSince 1933, Atwater Market has been a staple for Montrealers looking for fresh produce, meats, and great cheese. Some say it may be too touristy now a days but it is opened year round so that may be one of the reasons. Atwater Market becomes even more lively during the summer months. Get all the info here.
Where will you be shopping this summer?