According to the post, two Montreal patrol officers entered the biPOC safer space housed in Parc des Faubourgs, an area designated as "a place of comfort to promote the safety of Black, Indigenous and people of colour."
Any sense of safety or comfort was likely demolished once the Montreal police showed up, specifically targeting one queer individual who was said to be in possession of "some" marijuana.
Remember, legalization is less than a year away, and it's not like someone having pot on their person is a rare occurrence in Montreal.
After taking the individual outside the space, they (the individual's preferred pronoun) was questioned by police.
The president and vice-president of Montreal Pride then became involved, speaking with the SPVM officers on behalf of the apprehended individual.
After an hour of discussion, the individual was released.
Specific details on the event are unclear, like how much marijuana the individual-in-question actually had on them.
Again, though, someone smoking or being in possession of marijuana is pretty standard in a Canadian city like Montreal. Police officers allow people to openly smoke marijuana in many public spaces, making this specific event all the more telling.
The organizers of Montreal Pride describe the altercation as "an incident that resonates with the daily acts of oppression faced by queer trans People of Colour."
Tonight, the biPOC safer space will be closed in response to last night's police-related occurrence. Montreal Pride says the area will be open again tomorrow, promising "more favourable conditions in our safer spaces."
Pride organizers also reminded its followers that no police officers will be marching in this year's parade.
Gun violence in our city has been on the rise for the past few months now. Recently, Montreal police received 911 calls for two separate shootings in the city. The first happened during the afternoon around 3:50 p.m., where multiple civilians reported hearing gunshots fired at the corner of Émile-Journault and 9th Avenue in Saint-Michel.
SPVM spokesperson Caroline Chèvrefils told MTL Blog that when police arrived on the scene, they found a 23-year-old man who had been shot in the upper body. He was then transported to the hospital and we're told that his life is not in danger.
J'ÉTAIS LÀ, à moins de 50 mètres, #LIVE, en porte-à-porte avec @DenisCoderre quand c'est arrivé.
Il y a une garde… https://t.co/ZKT4XOeHQl
City council candidate Guillaume Lavoie from Ensemble Montréal tweeted that he and Denis Coderre were campaigning door-to-door right next to where the shooting happened. There is a daycare nearby. Some citizens told us that it was the 3rd time in a short time," Lavoie wrote.
The second shooting happened just after 12 a.m. on Thursday, September 16, only eight hours after the other shooting, in an apartment on rue Despréaux, which left a 29-year-old man wounded in the upper body. He was brought to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
"There was an altercation that happened in the apartment between several people and that's when gunshots were fired," Chèvrefils explained. "One or several suspects fled the scene before the arrival of the police."
The investigations for both incidents are ongoing and no arrests have been made in connection to the two shootings as of yet.
In an investigation that began last March in connection with arms traffickers active in Montreal, a team of Quebec police, which was composed of officers from the Sûreté du Québec and the SPVM, conducted searches that resulted in the seizure of firearms, illicit drugs and thousands of dollars in cash.
On September 15, 11 firearms searches were conducted, five in residences and six in vehicles in the Montreal, Terrebonne, Mirabel and Drummondville areas.
These searches led to the seizure of :
Six firearms, including four handguns
High capacity magazines and ammunition
More than 30 grams of cocaine
A few pounds of hashish
Several tablets, which will be analyzed
More than $3,000
Police also made six arrests during this operation, according to a press release.
The suspects are set to appear at the Montreal courthouse on Thursday in connection with the arms trafficking investigation.
According to the SPVM, Litvack was a baseball coach in the Lake Saint-Louis area and an administrator for the Lake Saint Louis-area baseball organization between 2008 and 2021. The kids he coached ranged in age from 13 to 21. He also worked for the Dollard-des-Ormeaux minor hockey association for about 10 years until 2017.
"The suspect is accused of sexually assaulting one of his players to whom he gave private lessons. Investigators have reason to believe that the accused may have had other victims," the SPVM says.
Police describe him as a 41-year-old white male with brown short hair and hazel eyes. He is 1.78 metres tall and weighs 93 kilograms, or about 205 pounds. He's anglophone but also speaks French.
Anyone with information about Litvack can anonymously and confidentially contact Info-Crime Montréal.
If you require resources or assistance surrounding sexual assault in Quebec, the CAVAC helpline is available 24/7. Those who may need support can call 1-866-532-2822. Other crisis lines and 24/7 options can be found at The Lifeline Canada.
This resulted in police creating a security perimeter on the school grounds, near where the package was located. The school told everyone to "avoid area around Arts, Dawson Hall and Leacock buildings at this time."
Then, at 10:49 a.m., McGill let the public know that the "incident" was over.
SPVM spokesperson Véronique Comtois Comtois said the tactical squad deemed the package not to be dangerous after analyzing it.
The security perimeter police made this morning was removed and the buildings that were evacuated have reopened.