Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

8th COVID-19 Case In Quebec Confirmed As First Major Montreal Event Cancelled

Several employees at a local hospital are also under quarantine.
Staff Writer
8th COVID-19 Case In Quebec Confirmed As First Major Montreal Event Cancelled

Hours after announcing Wednesday morning that the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Quebec had reached seven, the provincial health ministry announced an eighth case. The latest coronavirus infection is in the Mauricie region. "The individual had recently been travelling," says Minister Danielle McCann.

At the moment, there is no word as to whether or not the person has come in contact with anyone in the area.

The World Figure Skating Championship, meanwhile, has been cancelled. The event was supposed to take place in Montreal between March 16 and 22. So far, it's the only major event to have been cancelled because of coronavirus. 

Minutes later, it was announced that several employees in Montreal's Hôpital Notre-Dame near Parc La Fontaine are under quarantine after coming into contact with someone infected with COVID-19. 

Mayor Valérie Plante yesterday announced that Montreal's Civil Security Center is on "alert mode" in response to the worldwide pandemic.

"The risk of contracting the virus remains low, but we take all necessary precautions to act quickly, preventively and safely for everyone," said Minister McCann in an official statement

Organizations across the province are taking precautions to safeguard the public from contracting the virus. 

The STM announced Wednesday that it would increase the frequency of its cleanings on stations, buses, and trains.

The transit company has also distributed disinfectant wipes to many of its employees.

[rebelmouse-image 26886264 photo_credit="Quebec Ministry of Health and Services" expand=1 original_size="960x940"] Quebec Ministry of Health and Services

This news comes after health officials released the itinerary of a person with COVID-19 who took metro and bus lines in Montreal and Longueuil.

Major events around the world continue to be cancelled or postponed. 

In Canada, Tim Hortons has eliminated paper cups in its popular Roll Up The Rim contest to protect customers and employees.

The promotion has moved entirely to the Tim Hortons mobile app and Rewards program, bringing sudden change to an already-revolutionized contest.

There's no word yet as to whether the Montreal St. Patrick's Day Parade will be cancelled or postponed. 

This is a developing story. This article will be updated. 

NOW WATCH See Big Line & Employees Wiping Carts At West Island Costco Amid Coronavirus Panic (Video)

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...