Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Montreal Is Cancelling All Festivals & Sports Events Until July

Summer won't be the same.
Staff Writer
All Montreal Festivals & Sports Events Cancelled Until July

The city has just announced that all Montreal festivals, sports events, and public gatherings are cancelled until July 2, 2020. In the face of the ongoing health crisis, Montreal public health officials thought it was best and most prudent to cancel all events. Over the next few days, Mayor Valérie Plante and her team will consult with the various partners and organizers of the city's major May-June events and offer assistance. 

Also on Tuesday, the Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix set to happen on June 14 was postponed indefinitely. 

Last month, a flurry of event cancellations were announced, including the Montreal Jazz Fest, the Francos de Montréal, the Tour de l'Île, the Metro Metro Festival, and the Santa Teresa Festival.

The Just for Laughs Festival also postponed its events to the end of September. 

As the health crisis will persist for at least the next month and maybe more, Montrealers should prepare for a summer like no other. 

"It is not an easy decision because Montreal lives to the rhythm of its summer events," said Mayor Plante on Twitter. 

In a press release, the city said that it "analyzes the situation as it evolves." Public health officials recommend that the public continues to follow social distancing rules.

On Tuesday afternoon, provincial officials are expected to release their projections for the outbreak, including when residents could expect it to peak.

For the first time, Quebecers will see scenarios projecting the length and intensity of the crisis.

For Montrealers, this will be the first glimpse at an eventual return to normal life and, hopefully, the resumption of the city's busy summer schedule.

In the meantime, all gatherings, indoor and outdoor, are banned and punishable with fines of between $1,000 and $6,000.

Restrictions could get even more severe if some residents continue to disregard social distancing guidelines, Mayor Plante has said.

After reports circulated on social media of weekend gatherings at some of the city's major parks, she threatened to close them and ordered an increase in police presence to enforce a two-metre distance between individuals from different households.

Stay tuned for more news.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...