- At a press conference Sunday, Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin provided an update on the state of COVID-19 in Montreal.
- She identified five boroughs and one municipality as the "most affected" areas of the island.
- Five other boroughs are seeing an increase in the number of cases.
At a press conference Sunday, Mayor Valérie Plante and Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin provided an update on the state of COVID-19 in Montreal. As of March 29, the city and on-island suburbs account for almost half the cases in Quebec — 1,361 of the province's 2,840 infections. But Dr. Drouin made clear that some territories had been harder hit than others.
The Montreal boroughs of Côte-des-Neiges—Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, Rosemont—La-Petite-Patrie, Plateau-Mont-Royal, Ville-Marie, and LaSalle, as well as the enclave suburb of Côte-St-Luc all count over 50 cases.
Though there's a concentration of infections in central districts, Drouin confirmed that there is transmission throughout the region.
Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Montréal-Nord, Rivière-des-Prairies, Pointe-aux-Trembles, and Villeray are all seeing an increase in the number of cases, she said.
The press conference followed an emergency declaration on Friday by Mayor Plante.
The new state of emergency, she said, would empower the city to better respond to the needs of the homeless population, including through the establishment of temporary shelters and additional beds.
On Sunday, the city extended the state of emergency.
And though she reiterated Friday that Montreal is not under lockdown or in quarantine, Quebec Premier François Legault previously asked that no one leave or visit the island.
Identifying Montreal and Estrie as the hardest-hit regions in the province, he said that "it is very important that the people of these regions do not go to other regions [...] and other Quebecers must not go there unless it's very necessary."
#COVID19: aujourd’hui, les élu•es de la @MTL_Ville ont tenu un conseil municipal extraordinaire afin de prolonger l… https://t.co/JvGcvEG0i5— Valérie Plante (@Valérie Plante) 1585520489.0
Quebec Public Health Director Dr. Horacio Arruda previously called Montreal a "hotspot" of the novel coronavirus in the province.
Montreal police are also prepared to enforce social distancing rules and break up gatherings.
Thousand dollar fines await individuals who refuse to cooperate.
"The SPVM relies on the good faith of Montrealers to follow all government directives, including those concerning social distancing," a spokesperson told MTL Blog.
Stay tuned for more news.