Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Laval High School Students Evacuated After Carbon Monoxide Leak

There were no serious injuries.
Staff Writer
Laval High School Students Sent To Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Leak

École secondaire L'Odyssée-des-Jeunes, a Laval high school, was evacuated Wednesday morning due to the presence of carbon monoxide. Several people were transported to the hospital with minor issues. According to a spokesperson from Urgences-Santé, a call came in at 8:39 a.m. because of a "suspicious odour." 

There were 18 patients under the age of 18 and another three adults transported to a local hospital due to carbon monoxide inhalation. Students and staff reported feelings of dizziness during the early morning hours. 

All injuries were minor and there are no serious complications, according to Urgances-Santé. 

"We deployed two supervisors on-site, seven ambulances, and a supply truck to help with the patients," said the spokesperson. Reports indicate that the carbon monoxide leak came from an error in the school's heating system. 

The incident ended at around 11:40 a.m. Wednesday morning once the carbon monoxide levels reached zero. Urgence-Santé's spokesperson tells MTL Blog that firefighters have let people back inside the building. 

Evacuated students were sent to surrounding libraries or schools while the situation was being handled by local authorities. 

École secondaire L'Odyssée-des-Jeunes houses roughly 1,000 elementary and secondary students. 

"Carbon monoxide can cause health problems before you even notice that it's present," says the government of Canada.

"Breathing it in reduces your body's ability to carry oxygen in your blood."

[rebelmouse-image 26886272 photo_credit="Google Maps" expand=1 original_size="661x498"] Google Maps

"At low levels, effects include flu-like symptoms, such as tiredness, headaches, shortness of breath, and impaired motor functions."

Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can result in convulsions, coma, and even death.

This is a developing story. This article will be updated.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...