Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Number Of Confirmed COVID-19 Cases In Quebec Increases By Over 900 For Second Day In A Row

Another 58 deaths were also recorded.
Staff Writer
Number Of Confirmed COVID-19 Cases In Quebec Increases By Over 900 For Second Day In A Row

At Friday's public update, Premier François Legault and public health officials announced yet another increase in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Quebec. As of April 17, there are 16,798 confirmed infections, an increase of 941 from April 16. Another 58 deaths were recorded for a total of 688. 

The number of confirmed cases on April 16 represented an increase of 997 from April 15.

He took a different note on Friday, expressing regret that his government had note raised salaries for some CHSLD workers before the crisis.

"I confess that I myself have been asking myself for several days, several nights: What else should I have done in the last few months, in the year and a half that I have been Prime Minister?" he said.

"And then I've tried to replay in my head and re-replay in my head what I've been doing for a year and a half."

"Today, I admit it and take full responsibility, I think that if I had to do it all over again, I would have increased the salaries of the beneficiary attendants more quickly, even without the unions' agreement."

When it comes to senior residences, the Premier admitted that "We entered this crisis ill-equipped and, obviously, the situation deteriorated for all sorts of reasons."

Legault previously called the situation in CHSLDs and senior residences "critical."

The government has also published a list of the hardest-hit residences, including some where the number of COVID-19 cases represents more than 25% of available beds.

A lack of workers has exacerbated the situation.

As many as 1,800 employees are absent from their posts.

In Montreal, according to Santé Montréal, 82 public senior residences have at least one infection.

The focus of municipal and provincial officials is now on the protection of this vulnerable population.

"Our biggest concern is for the senior citizens living in residences and CHSLDs," Montreal Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin said Thursday.

The city will begin sending automated calls to its seniors to point them to resources they may need. 

"I want you to know that if you receive a call, it's not phishing and it's important to listen to the whole message," said Mayor Plante.   

Stay tuned for more news.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...