- A new food recall of several fresh-cut vegetable products that may be contaminated with listeria has been issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
- This comes days after another recall of the same kind that included Compliments products across most Canadian provinces.
- This new recall is nationwide. Consult the list of recalled products below.
A new recall of various fresh-cut vegetable products has been issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) includes due to possible contamination by Listeria monocytogenes across the country.
Listeria is a pathogenic bacteria that can survive with or without the presence of oxygen and it can continue to grow at temperatures as low as 0°C, meaning it can easily continue to multiply even in typical refrigeration settings.
According to the CFIA, "Food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick."
This recall comes after a previous recall of the same sort, that did not include Quebec. The CFIA has now listed the recall as "National," as more products have been identified as possibly contaminated in more provinces across the country.
As the CFIA was undertaking further food safety investigations, the additional product information to light, expanding the Class 1 Hazard recall to be nationwide.
Below is a list of the products that are currently being recalled by the CFIA due to this possible Listeria contamination. Continue below to see details about the initial recall of Compliments fresh-cut veggie products.
When it comes to the products listed below, the CFIA is including "all Best Before dates up to and including November 16, 2019." To see the UPC codes and size specifications of the products listed below, head to the full listing of the CFIA Food Recall Warning here.
- Mann's Broccoli Cole Slaw
- Mann's Caulini - Baby Cauliflower
- Mann's Kale Beet Blend
- Mann's Kale Cabbage Blend
- Mann's Kohlrabi "Linguini"
- Mann's Power Blend
- Mann's Rainbow Salad
- Mann's Riced Cauliflower
- Mann's Shaved Brussels Sprouts
- Mann's Veggie Tray
- Mann's Crave a Bowl - Spicy Marinara
- Mann's Crave a Bowl - Sweet Corn
- Mann's Crave a Bowl - Zesty Green Chile
- Mann's Family Favorites - Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Mann's Family Favorites - Broccoli Wokly
- Mann's Family Favorites - Brussels Sprouts
- Mann's Family Favorites - California Stir Fry
- Mann's Family Favorites - French Beans
- Mann's Family Favorites - Green Beans
- Mann's Family Favorites - Vegetable Medley
- Mann's Nourish Bowls - Cauli-Rice Curry
- Mann's Nourish Bowls - Fresh Veggie Noodles - Basil Pesto
- Mann's Nourish Bowls - Fresh Veggie Noodles - Spicy Thai
- Mann's Nourish Bowls - Fresh Veggie Noodles - Tomato Bolognese
- Mann's Nourish Bowls - Sesame Sriracha
- Mann's Nourish Bowls - Southwest Chipotle
- Mann's Organic Broccoli & Carrots
- Mann's Organic Broccoli Cole Slaw
- Mann's Organic Broccoli Florets
- Mann's Organic Green Beans
- Mann's Snacking Favorites - Organic Vegetable Tray with Organic Ranch Dip
- Mann's Snacking Favorites - Veggie Hummus
- Mann's Snacking Favorites - Veggie Ranch
- Sysco Imperial - Veggie Power Blend
- Western Family - Broccoli Slaw
- Western Family - Sweet Kale Salad Kit
The previous CFIA recall, which was issued on November 1, included several Compliments fresh-cut veggie products, including their Sweet Kale Blend, seen pictured in the tweet below, as well as chopped Cauliflower and Broccolini, the Vegetable Platter with Ranch Dip, Green Beans and the Power Green Blend. See the full previous recall listing here.
The tweet below is in regards to the initial Listeria recall related to fresh-cut vegetables, which applied to Alberta, B.C., Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I., and Newfoundland and Labrador.
Foods that are at a high risk of carrying Listeria include refrigerated smoked fish, raw or unpasteurized milk, soft and unpasteurized cheese and ready-to-eat meats like pâté, hot dogs, and deli meats.
Symptoms of listeriosis include, "vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, severe headache and neck stiffness."
Complications of listeriosis can be fatal, as severe listeriosis can develop into "a brain infection and/or blood poisoning," according to the CFIA.
Those most at risk of listeriosis are people with weakened immune systems, adults over 60, and pregnant women, "including their unborn or newborn baby."
The CFIA reminds Canadians that if you think you have become sick from consuming one of the products listed above, call your doctor immediately.
If you have any of these products in your home, throw them out or bring them back to the store where they were purchased.