• Amid a growing number of worldwide cases of COVID-19, Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante announced that the Civil Security Centre (CSC) is now in "alert mode." 
  • Officials are also developing a plan if the situation deteriorates.

Mayor Valérie Plante announced on Twitter that the Civil Security Centre is now in "alert mode" for COVID-19 in Montreal. "Despite the fact that the situation in Montreal is under control, the global spread of the virus is evolving very quickly," she wrote in the post. The announcement comes after the fourth confirmed case of COVID-19 was diagnosed in Quebec.

The Organisation de la sécurité civile de l'agglomération de Montréal (OSCAM) is also "preparing and deploying a plan to ensure the continuity of city services to Montrealers in the event of a deteriorating situation," says the Mayor.

A fifth presumptive case is under investigation. One of the city's new cases comes from a woman who travelled to Europe and was in contact with someone infected with COVID-19. 

On Monday, the Health Ministry announced that Hôtel-Dieu Hospital in Montreal would be the first special treatment clinic for those with COVID-19. 

"In light of the new cases that have recently been added, we are committed to adjusting our coordination mechanisms according to the evolution of the situation," said Quebec Health Minister Danielle McCann in an official statement

She added that "the risk of contracting the virus remains low, but we take all necessary precautions to act quickly, preventively and safely for everyone." 

Still, the government of Canada recommends that Canadians take normal precautions to prevent the spread of disease.

Frequent hand washing and not touching your face are oft-cited methods to prevent the spread of COVID-19. 

So far in Montreal, health officials are taking a wait-and-see approach. 

While public gatherings of over 1,000 people are being banned across the globe, Montreal will so far still allow large events such as hockey games and music festivals to continue despite COVID-19.


READ ALSO: Number Of Confirmed COVID-19 Cases In Quebec Jumps To Four

The Health Ministry confirmed that "the search for close contacts of infected persons is still ongoing. The persons concerned will receive appropriate recommendations." 

"Although Quebec remains relatively little affected by COVID-19 for the moment, the world situation is evolving very quickly, and we must be extremely vigilant," said Horacio Arruda, National Director of Public Health.

People who show symptoms should contact Info-Santé (811).

NOW WATCH Toilet Paper Apocalypse Is Happening At Costco As Canadians Stock Up For COVID-19 (Video)

Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications