Montreal has a certain number of claims to fame we've been bragging about for years.
- We have the best poutine.
- We have the most restaurants in Canada.
- We're the 2nd largest french city in the world.
Well, the first two might still be true, but that last one is due for an update.
We used to proudly boast about that fact.
- Montreal Ranked #1 Food Destination In The World
- Montreal Ranked #1 Greenest City In North America
- Montreal Ranked #1 For Most Beautiful Women In The World
- It’s Official, Montreal Is Ranked #1 Best “Party City” In Canada
- Montreal Ranked “Safest” City In Canada You Can Live In
Paris was number 1 and we were number 2, it just sounded right.
As if it gave us a certain je ne sais quoi to be right behind Paris on a list.
But it turns out that we're no longer number 2, and Paris isn't number 1.
This is all due to a boom in population in French-speaking African countries.
Paris is now number 2 behind Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Meanwhile, Montreal has been bumped all the way down to number 4 behind Abidjan in the Ivory Coast.
Here's the new order for french speaking cities in the world:
1- Kinshasa, DR Congo: 11,587,000
2- Paris, France: 10,858,000
3- Abidjan, Ivory Coast: 4,800,000
4- Montréal, Canada: 3,536,000
5- Dakar, Senegal: 3,520,000
6- Casablanca, Morocco: 3,211,000
7- Yaoundé, Cameroon: 3,060,000
8- Douala, Cameroon: 2,940,000
9- Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso: 2,700,000
10- Algiers, Algeria: 2,590,000