Just a few short days after the tragic fire at the Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral, a man was arrested in New York City after he was caught trying to enter the famous St. Patrick's Cathedral with two gasoline canisters, lighters, and lighter fluid.

The unnamed 37-year old man was quickly detained by the counterterrorism task force of the NYPD late last night after a security guard alerted them to his presence. Apparently, the man is from New Jersey and has had run-ins with the police in the past. 

According to the NYPD, the man was carrying over four gallons of gasoline and had already spilt some of it on church property. The man claims that he was attempting to reach his car that was out of gas, but after they check it, the car was filled up.

READ ALSO: Heartbreaking New Video Shows The Ruined Interior Of Notre-Dame Cathedral

TL;DR  A man was apprehended by the NYPD late last night after he was caught with over four gallons of gasoline, lighter fluid, and lighters near St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City. His motives are unclear, but New York police claim the man was "emotionally unstable". 

Authorities claim the man was "emotionally disturbed" and that it's too early to assume what his motives were. Nobody was injured in the incident and police are still investigating the situation. 

St. Patrick's Cathedral is a huge New York City landmark. First opened in 1879, it was the first massive cathedral of its kind in the city.

This troubling incident comes a few days after a fire ravaged the world-famous Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral. Authorities in Paris have yet to figure out the exact source of the inferno. 

Meanwhile, Paris is reeling after this tragic event. French President Emmanuel Macron has already promised the people of Paris that the cathedral will be rebuilt within the next five to six years. 

Fundraising efforts have already brought in millions to aid in the rebuilding of the Notre-Dame de Paris.

The man has not yet been charged with an official crime, but he is currently in NYPD custody awaiting interrogation. 

His motives are still unclear, but the NYPD is working tirelessly to bring this man to justice. 


Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications