If you're ever annoyed by the fact that Montreal is a bilingual city, you have nothing to complain about. Rosetta Stone, the renowned language learning program, conducted a survey to find out the language speaking habits and abilities of UK residents and the world at large, with the results being quite positive.
Keep in mind Montrealers:
- There are 1 billion English speakers worldwide
- There are 125 million French speakers worldwide
So simply by being in Montreal, you already speak/can easily learn two languages spoken by about 1/6th of the world.
And the good doesn't stop there. UK residents experienced these life improvements after learning a new language:
- 58% surveyed stated traveling was easier
- 42% claimed knowing a second language helped them develop as a person
- 33% attested to experience new cultures by learning a new language
- 21% said it improved their career and job prospects
Yes, these were benefits listed from UK citizens, but take a logical leap and I'm sure you can see how these benefits would apply to nearly anyone in the world.
Check out all the stats at the infographic here.