Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Quebec Now Has More Than 33k Cases, With Over 100 Newly Reported Deaths

There have been 2,398 deaths in Quebec since the beginning of the pandemic.
Contributing Writer
Quebec Now Has More Than 33k Cases, With Over 100 Newly Reported Deaths

At the beginning of his public briefing, Premier François Legault shared that as of Tuesday, May 5, there are now 33,417 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Quebec. The previous day, there were 32,623 infections announced. Thus, the province has seen a rise in 794 cases within the past 24 hours.

There have been 118 new deaths related to COVID-19 in Quebec since yesterday, bringing the province's death toll to 2,398.

And, the region of Montreal makes up for over half of the province's case count, with 16,991 confirmed cases.

On May 4, Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin told the public that Montreal is "not seeing a decrease in the curve."

Just a few hours before she made this statement, Premier François Legault announced that the date for the opening of retail stores with outside entrances (not including shopping malls) would be pushed back a week, thus going from May 11 to May 18 instead.

While for the rest of the province, such reopenings began on Monday, May 4, which Legault announced today went well.

In regards to other businesses, Legault has previously announced that he does not see the reopening of Quebec restaurants happening "in the short term," due to the difficulty of implementing social distancing measures in such spaces.

You can watch the Government of Quebec's press conference on May 5 in the live feed below.

During the briefing, Legault mentioned that the province continues to be missing personnel in its health sector, due to a high volume of absent employees.

For this reason, the Premier said that the government will soon announce a new bonus plan to help convince people to come work in Quebec's hospitals and CHSLDs.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, a total of 7,923 individuals have recovered from the virus in Quebec.

Meanwhile, there remain 1,821 people hospitalized in the province due to COVID-19, 218 of which are in the ICU.

A breakdown of each region's case count is available below.

[rebelmouse-image 26885437 photo_credit="Government of Quebec" expand=1 original_size="399x479"] Government of Quebec

After Montreal, the region of Montérégie has the next highest number of cases in the province, with a total of 4,006.

Stay safe, Quebec.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...