Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Quebec Has Reported Over 1,000 New COVID-19 Cases Within The Past 24 Hours

With 1,002 cases that remain under investigation.
Contributing Writer
Quebec Has Reported Over 1,000 New COVID-19 Cases Within The Past 24 Hours

The Government of Quebec didn't hold a press conference on Saturday, May 2, but the numbers relating to the novel coronavirus situation in the province were still released. Currently, there are 29,656 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Quebec. Yesterday, on May 1, there were 28,648 cases reported.

Thus, there has been a rise in 1,008 cases within the past 24 hours.

Right now, there continue to be 1,738 individuals hospitalized due to the virus, with 222 of them in intensive care.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have now been 2,136 deaths related to COVID-19 in Quebec.

A recent study conducted by Université de Montréal estimates that there were actually over 250,000 total cases in Quebec as of April 22.

This discrepancy, Joshua Lewis, an economist at UdeM who co-authored the study, said demonstrates how different standards in testing within provinces "can greatly mask the true severity of the outbreak." 

Because of such, the people who conducted the study believe more testing is necessary amongst the general population. 

In other news, Montreal announced on May 2 that it's extending its state of emergency, once again. This time, until May 5.

Below is a breakdown of every Quebec region's case count as of May 2.

[rebelmouse-image 26885482 photo_credit="Institut national de sant\u00e9 publique Qu\u00e9bec | Official website" expand=1 original_size="629x615"] Institut national de santé publique Québec | Official website

Montreal remains the region with the highest number of COVID-19 cases, with a total of 14,599.

Legault has previously reminded the public that "the battle is not won" in Montreal yet.

During his press conference on Thursday, April 30, Legault said: "When I announced the dates for the schools then for the companies, if the situation deteriorates, there will be no opening in Montreal." 

With this, he also reminded all Quebecers that any form of gathering, unless it's deemed essential, remains forbidden for the time being.

As of right now, the government is preparing to reopen certain businesses in Montreal on May 11 and elementary schools and daycares in the region on May 19.

But, the situation continues to be monitored closely.

Legault has mentioned that he won't hesitate to push back deconfinement if social distancing measures aren't respected, or "if the situation deteriorates," in the upcoming days.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...