NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up at Campo Viejo - MTL Blog and who are 19 years of age or older as of the date of entry. The Campaign is only open to legal residents of Canada and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Narcity Media and Corby Spirit and Wine Limited, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Narcity Media as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on November 16, 2023, at 9:00 AM ET and ending December 15, 2023, at 11:59 PM ET. All online entries must be received by December 15, 2023, 11:59 PM ET.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at Campo Viejo - MTL Blog. All fields must be duly completed to be eligible to win a prize. The selected entrants must first correctly answer a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to claim their prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Narcity Media. You may enter only once. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Narcity Media.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive one (1) prize worth $5,000 CAD. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. There will be one (1) winner and their guest. Prize will include the following: roundtrip airfare from anywhere in Canada to Montreal, a travel stipend, two (2) nights in a Montreal hotel, and a Campo Viejo dining experience with chef Laurent Dagenais. If the selected winner resides in Montreal then roundtrip airfare will be excluded from the prize. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Narcity Media. Cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted at Narcity Media’s discretion. The prize is non transferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, provincial, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of the Winner. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Narcity Media to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation unless prohibited by law. The prize will be expedited to the winner via email.
6. Chances: The chances of winning are dependent upon the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected at random by Narcity Media on December 18, 2023 at 12:00 PM ET. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. Narcity Media shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail, or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 5 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT NARCITY MEDIA‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g. photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that Narcity Media, anyone acting on behalf of Narcity Media, and Narcity Media’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, provincial statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of
authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Narcity Media. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Narcity Media from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which Narcity Media may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: Narcity Media reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Narcity Media’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such a case, Narcity Media may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Narcity Media. Narcity Media reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Narcity Media has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Narcity Media reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless Narcity Media, Corby Spirit and Wine Limited, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii)
the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF ONTARIO, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participants agree that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Canada having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. With respect to the laws of Ontario that apply, that they will apply unless the laws of another province or territory are of public policy. Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of publicity may be submitted to the Régie des Alcools, des Courses et des Jeux for ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the board only for the purpose of helping the parties reach settlement.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Narcity Media Inc., 147 Liberty St, Toronto, ON M6K 3G3, Canada. Requests must be received no later than December 15, 2023, 11:59 PM ET.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is Corby Spirit and Wine Limited.
Montreal's famous MURAL Festival is well underway across the city, and loads of popular art installations have been popping up left and right. MURAL organizers have unveiled a number of eyebrow-raising festival highlights, including a huge fresco painting by artist Saype on a grassy bit of land at the northeast corner of Mount Royal Park.
The "Beyond Walls" art piece depicts two interlocking human arms, which will only be visible at the park for a "few days." MURAL said Saype's work "stems from a desire to share a positive message of solidarity and collective effort around the world by symbolically creating the largest human chain ever realized."
Now, "Beyond Walls" is not the only MURAL installation gaining major attention. The festival unveiled its most recent addition on June 13, which is currently standing tall on boulevard Saint-Laurent. Montreal… meet BIXO.
The massive sculpture, created by Montreal artist Junko, is located on the corner of rue Milton (directly beside MURAL's Milton Stage) and is made up of recycled materials, including BIXI bikes. "Some of you may have already seen it displayed on Saint-Laurent – but let us officially introduce the final product! Junko's sculpture made out of old Bixi bikes is better than we could've ever imagined! His mind! A huge thank you to BIXI for rendering this upcycling (no pun intended) project possible," MURAL wrote on Instagram.
The name BIXO — a combination of BIXI and Junko — is one that will certainly stick, and considering its size, it's an art piece you can't help but notice. MTL Blog reached out to Junko, who dished out some additional deets on the inspiration behind their latest creation.
"The idea behind the piece was to draw a connection between the role insects play in an ecosystem and the role bicycles play in working towards a more ecologically responsible future," Junko said.
The newest art installation taking over the downtown core definitely gives off Transformers-like vibes, which is a comparison Junko says they get "a lot." Although it was not the single source of inspiration behind BIXO, Junko's admiration for a "wide variety of sci-fi material," has undoubtedly inspired their work throughout their lifetime. "Giant robotic creatures is a pretty common theme, it's nothing new," the artist told MTL Blog.
BIXI, who sponsored artwork in this year's festival, collaborated directly with MURAL, who reached out to Junko to create the large installation. Considering how intricate the BIXO creation is — from the wheels, orange BIXI details, and miniature F-150 truck to its robotic limbs and tail — it comes as no surprise that the process took Junko an entire month.
BIXO, which is ironically taking up a parking spot on the busy downtown street, was also built with a variety of reclaimed waste materials in addition to scrap BIXI bicycles. The public bicycle-sharing system said that when MURAL comes to a close, BIXO will be safely moved to the BIXI warehouse.
Junko's work often follows a similar theme when it comes to the ecosystem. Several of their past works have also touched on environmental issues, including Earth Dragon, an art installation Junko created in January of 2022. The remarkable piece was also made up of entirely repurposed materials and stands tall atop a Notre-Dame-de-Grâce hill directly beside the McGill University Health Centre along Route 136. Earth Dragon is still standing tall, overlooking the city for those who have yet to feast their eyes on the stunning piece.
Similarly, the Montreal-based artist assembled the majestic Forest Spirit structure back in December 2021 — located in the Hochelaga area. "With the small amount of surrounding forested area threatened by industry and development, the Forest Spirit wanders, in search of a home," Junko captioned a shot of Forest Spirit on Instagram.
Since then, Junko has crafted loads of other giant structures in Montreal and Vancouver, including Queen BX1000, Habitat, Beeto, and Phobia — names Junko selects based on "whatever comes to mind."
Although Junko is keeping their next move under wraps for now, it's safe to say their next creation will be just as grand (if not grander than BIXO), and we will definitely be keeping an eye out for what's to come.
According to its website, "MURAL is a nonprofit organization based in Montreal, whose mission is to make street art more accessible." The organization produces the annual MURAL Festival, a public-art event that takes place alongside Montreal's bustling boulevard Saint-Laurent. The esteemed festival has gained popularity all thanks to its large murals, musical shows, digital installations and tech-centric exhibitions.
When is MURAL Festival taking place in Montreal?
MURAL Festival will take place in Montreal starting June 8 to 18, 2023. "The production of certain works may begin before these dates or end after," MURAL says on its website.
Is MURAL Festival free to attend?
The Mile End Stage Block Parties all require purchased tickets. However, MURAL Festival does offer many free activities in the Saint-Laurent zone, including the Milton Stage, per MURAL's website.
What is the MURAL Festival schedule?
The Saint-Laurent Zones will run from noon to 11 p.m. for the duration of the festival. Free activities taking place at Milton Stage will start at noon on Saturdays and Sundays during the festival and at 4 p.m. on weekdays. MURAL has indicated that there will be no programming at the Milton Stage on Monday, June 12, 2023.
As for the Mile End Stage, ticketed events will begin at 5 p.m. and close at 10 p.m.
Do MURAL Festival artists do live installations?
Yes. You can get up close and personal (to a certain extent, of course) and witness MURAL artists create artwork and live installations that will be visible to all passers-by.
Hundreds of police officers will take to downtown Montreal during the 15th United Nations Conférence des parties (COP15). The event, also known as the 2022 Montreal Biodiversity Conference, will take place at the Palais des Congrès from December 7 to 19. A police perimeter around the convention centre is set to disrupt movement through the area. The STM is planning several service changes as a result, including the temporary closure of Place d'Armes metro station.
In a Friday statement, the transit company said the stop will be closed from December 1 to 20 at the request of the authorities. The orange line will otherwise run as usual, just without a stop between Square-Victoria–OACI and Champs-de-Mars.
You can also expect the suspension of certain bus stops once the COP15 perimeter fence is up beginning November 14. STM customers using lines 55, 129, 361, 363 and 365 will have to deal with changes to their routes in the Palais des Congrès area. All the planned detours are listed online.
The STM assured that adapted transport services will still run in the Palais des Congrès area, but likely with some delays.
And the transit company warns there could be additional service changes, too, depending on COP15 security requests. It's asking customers to plan their trips ahead of time and to stay up to date using real-time scheduling tools, including the STM website and Chrono app.
"Through extensive planning and close coordination with COP15 partners and authorities, the STM is ensuring that it is fully prepared to make public transit a sustainable and efficient mobility option for all during this major international summit," the company concluded.
Good luck getting around the city in the coming weeks!
If you love yourself a good emoji, then the arrival of 21 new icons is sure to add a little flair to your text game. The organization Unicode Consortium announced the additional icons as part of its next update. Two of the new emojis will be available in five skin tones (plus the bright yellow default colour) for a total of 31 new options for texters.
Canadians will be pleased to see the arrival of several new animal emojis, including a goose and a moose. A donkey, blackbird and jellyfish will also join the roster.
\u201cThe 4,489 new characters in #Unicode15 include 20 new #emoji, along with new emoji sequences, expected to show up on \ud83d\udcf1s, \ud83d\udcbbs, and other platforms sometime next year \u2192 https://t.co/92bPON11bP #\u7d75\u6587\u5b57\u201d
— The Unicode Consortium (@The Unicode Consortium)
Unicode is also adding more inclusive emojis with the addition of an afro hair pick, a "talk to the hand" emoji in six skin tone variations and the Khanda, a Sikh religious symbol.
The heart emoji will also be available in new colours, so you'll be able to share some love with your friends and family in pink, light blue and grey. The WiFi emoji and a shaking face emoji will also be added to the bunch.
Unicode just says the emojis will be available "sometime next year." Google said, in an update for developers, that its users can expect to see them in "early" 2023. Emojipedia predicts the update will hit Apple devices in March or April.
This article's left-hand cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
MTL Blog publishes Opinion content as part of our ongoing, not-so-secret plot to take over Montreal’s digital media landscape. We believe putting Gen Z and Millennial voices front and center is a crucial way to connect with our city, and we’re excited to deliver fascinating, authentically diverse stories to Montrealers.
Why Does MTL Blog Publish Opinion Content?
We want to be the primary source for news and views that amplify the lives, loves, concerns and discussions that are most important to our Gen Z and Millennial readers. We recognize that authenticity is key, and the best way to allow our diverse readership to have a voice is to actually give them a platform to be heard. We’re opening MTL Blog up to the lived experiences of smart, cosmopolitan writers, both within and outside of our company. You can expect to live vicariously through the first-person narratives of MTL Blog staff as well as talented freelance writers with something important to say.
What Is Opinion Content?
This content should fall within the following 3 categories: Reviews, Opinions, and Personal Essays.
Reviews are first-person photo essays that provide a service to readers by giving them an honest look at what a place, activity, experience, or product is really like based on personal experience.
Opinion pieces argue a specific viewpoint based on facts & solid evidence rather than personal experience. Pieces need to have an introduction, an analysis of both sides of the argument, and a conclusion backing up the viewpoint.
Personal Essays should focus on lived first-person experiences. Here, the writer can share their own personal journey with something that might be relatable to MTL Blog’s audience.
We’re open to receiving pitches from freelancers and in-house staff, and we welcome work from all members of our community, including writers from equity-deserving backgrounds. If you have a big idea or a worthwhile experience to share, we want to hear about it!
How Do I Pitch My Opinion, Essay Or Review?
If we’ve gotten you excited enough to pitch us your piece, that’s great! We look forward to reading clearly worded, original and current essay ideas that keep MTL Blog’s style and tone in mind, while fitting within the scope of our News, Travel, Eat & Drink, Sports, Things To Do, Real Estate, People, Money, & Entertainmentcoverage.
You can submit your pitch for Opinion content to email@example.com with a subject line that summarizes the category of your submission (Review, Opinion, or Personal Essay) and your chosen headline.
What Happens After My Pitch Is Accepted?
If we love your pitch, our Editors will be in touch with you to discuss an agreed upon word count, deadline, compensation for your work, and to share our Style Guide which will help you put your best foot forward.
Of course! We compensate all freelance writers for all submitted pieces. Rates will be agreed upon when a pitch is accepted. Currently, our rates are typically between $100-$200 depending on the length and type of article.
Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.
In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Participation Guidelines, detailed below.
Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.
First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.
Be respectful: Personal attacks, harassment, threats or insults directed towards the article author, subject of the article, or other users will not be tolerated.
Hate speech: Any comment that encourages violence or targets someone based on their race, ethnicity, religion, political views, physical ability, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc. is strictly prohibited. Diversity and inclusion is a part of Narcity’s DNA, and we want our community to know that we do not tolerate this behavior.
Vulgarity & explicit content: Comments containing vulgar words and imagery will be removed.
Libel & defamation: Any comments that are libelous and defamatory in nature, or violate any laws, will be removed.
Spam, advertising & bots: Users posting spam will be restricted and comments will be deleted.
Links: Any comments containing links to inappropriate content will be removed.
Safety: We strongly recommend that you do not post personal information in order to maintain your own safety while participating in our online community.
Reporting a violation: To report a violation of these guidelines, use the “Flag” button which can be found on the right-hand side of each individual comment. Our moderators will then review the comment and take any necessary action.
Thank you for participating in our community!
Narcity Media Community Guidelines Specific to Narcity & MTL Blog Social Media Channels
The following guidelines outline Narcity Media’s approach to moderating our community engagement across any and all of its social media channels. Our social media and content teams use these guidelines to moderate discussion, engagement and comments across our social media pages on all platforms.
Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment sections of our social media pages. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, block or report any user without notice, or close a comment section at any time.
By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use and distribute your content across our properties including, but not limited to, Narcity.com and social media channels.
Narcity Media puts community and employee safety first. We will not tolerate any comments involving violence, criminal behaviour or any content it deems objectionable. We will not tolerate breaches of integrity and authenticity and adhere to respecting intellectual property rights where possible and applicable.
Narcity Media is also a partner of Amplify.ai and uses their AI-driven Comment Moderation solution for Facebook and Instagram to support our efforts in community management.
Narcity Media staff members may also moderate content manually, adhering to the guidelines herewith and using their best judgement when they deem comments are in violation of our community guidelines.
Due to the volume of engagement and comments on Narcity Media social media channels, it is possible that not all comments will be monitored and that comments which violate these guidelines may remain online or slip through tracking technologies, AI and human moderation.
Narcity Media’s full Editorial Standards can be found on Narcity.com.
Narcity Media Community Guidelines specific to on-site engagement can be found on Narcity.com.
A note on Branded and Sponsored Content
Narcity Media firmly believes that expression of opinion is integral to its operations, as long as it does not conflict with the guidelines articulated here.
Narcity Media will moderate community engagement and discussion on Branded and Sponsored content accordingly, bound by the aforementioned guidelines. However, Narcity Media will not close comment sections on Branded and Sponsored content should expressions of opinion seemingly conflict with a Brand’s image or offering. Narcity Media reserves all rights to determine this on its own terms.
Alison Millington (she/her) is the Editor-in-Chief at Narcity Media, where she leads the editorial divisions across Narcity Canada, Narcity Quebec and MTL Blog. She has trained and managed writers and editors in both Canada and the U.K., building audiences around everything from the royal family to the UFC. With an MA in International Journalism from City University London, Ali has more than 10 years of experience in the industry, most recently coming from digital-first, millennial-focused news organizations blogTO and Insider.
Sofia Misenheimer is an award-winning writer and editor, and a former radio news anchor and reporter. She has an M.A. in Communication Studies from McGill University. In her spare time, she DJs as Sof Silva, finds little-known Montreal gems for #SofiaStaycations, and can often be found jogging in the Old Port
Senior Copy Editor Avery Friedlander (she/her) is an Ottawa-based Senior Copy Editor at Narcity Media. She graduated in 2018 with a Bachelor of Journalism and English Minor from Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University) and has been a professional grammar nitpicker ever since. Over the last seven years, Avery has edited and written for national organizations including Canada Post, The War Amps, Mediaplus Advertising, Canadian Dental Association, Canadian Electricity Association and others.
Bonjour Québec's handy map of fall foliage shows us exactly when different Quebec regions have the most colourful fall foliage — ranked from "beginning soon" to "near peak" to "end." You can use this map to plan a picturesque fall road trip or hike.