This weekend is the tail end of the 20th annual Festival Mondiale de la Biere at the Palais des Congres in old town. You wouldn’t expect a convention centre to look the part dressed up as a bar, but the fest is much more than that.
The Salle Viger is full of tents and mini bars and the plastic picnic tables and every hand is dotted with tiny glasses of amber samplings of a wide range of domestic and international beers. This might be the only hall the Palais has with windows which – if you’re familiar with conventions like this - you’ll know adds a much nicer ambience. There’s even live music tucked off to the side so you can head bob to it but still hear your friends lapse poetic about their Heinekens.
All your favourite brands have stations in and among many more smaller, independent breweries from Canada and Germany and Brazil and countries you’d never guessed had specialty beers. We nursed the best that Beau’s Beer, a family-run brewery based in Niagra, ON, had to offer; a gorgeous, smooth dark beer made from coffee, the light delight of their l’Oiseau de la Nuit which is even made from pumpkin. The charming Eric was dishing out the Dixie cups behind Beau’s booth and told us how he actually studies the art of the hour at Canada’s only certifying brewing school and is already working his way into Beau’s factory.
The festival also offers a healthy selection of Quebec’s 100+ cheeses, and the smell of hot juicy sausage hasn’t hung in the air of the Palais quite like this since Montreal Fetish Weekend.
And the party isn’t merely limited to the grey, neon-lit vault of the Salle Viger. Outside the convention centre is a terrace that the FMBM has completely taken over. La Cheval Blanc has their tent set up under the trees and is serving up a beautiful blonde babe of a beer aptly called Double Bonheur that truly deserves to be enjoyed out in the sun. There’s Brazilian beer with five or six sassy names and cool label designs served across from that, and then there’s a little grove of trees you can totally hang on to your drinks in. The grove is flanked by the beer stands on one side, while on the other side are the snack booths!! Sausage, Frite Alors, sandwiches. We even saw a few of our prodigal son street food vending trucks - which deserve their own festival, imho.
This is a pretty perfect demonstration of the city’s more European culture. The ambience is alive and casual, buzzing with a collective…well, buzz! While at the same time, the, uh, “fun-sized” glasses keep any real need for security at a comfy low, if you can believe it. While the Tam Tams, par example, have a long way to go before they culture into anything like Berlin’s famous biergartens (literally: beer gardens), the festival stands to prove there’s a zeitgeist of tasteful drinking budding along with the hops. The Festival Mondial de la Biere will inspire the fancy, French, wine-tasting connoisseur in even a champion keg chugger.
It’ll be going on til Sunday, eleven til ten. Most beers go for 2 to 6 tickety-coupon-thingies, and each tickety-coupon-thing is a only a dollar! Come and glean some culture and find yourself a new favourite brew for the summer. Cheers!
The weather is on our side, Montreal, and what better way to celebrate than to attend the most riveting and wild events of the weekend. Let's ring in October with a weekend full of beer, food and great music. It's time to kick off Oktoberfest and welcome many artistic talents to our beautiful city! Take off those hats and scarves and let's make this weekend one to remember;
Thursday, October 2nd
- Le Metropolis is about to get pretty crazy. Porter Robinson is coming to town for his World Tour. This is a show not to miss, with Lemaitre + Giraffage. If you're into great vibes and pumped up people, get ready cause this place bout' to blow! View event>
- Theatre Corona Virgin Mobile is welcoming some great talent to their stage. Let the sweet sounds of Banks serenade you this weekend. With the opening acts of Movement and Lil Silva, this is the perfect place if you're in the mood for some smooth, live music. View event>
- John Andrew & Les Bonnes Manières are performing at Le Labo. This unique show will leave all you alternative souls in awe. Also featuring Antoine Lachance, this musical spectacle will leave you feeling enlightened and groovy. Don't miss out! View event>
Friday, October 3rd
- Groundislava, Thomas White, Dear Lola and Compton Chic are coming to blow up Le Belmont. If you're ready to move and groove to some insanely good music, this is your Friday night go-to spot. We know the show is going to be insane, but you better check it out for yourself. View event>
- Prost! Oktoberfest is kicking off this weekend. With tons of insane events in and around Montreal, you definitely do not want to miss out on this German affair. Located conveniently about an hour outside Montreal, Sherbooke University is known to host an Oktoberfest celebration like no other. If you find yourself in Sherbrooke, this is an event we promise you don't want to miss. View event>
- Montreal Olympic Park is hosting the First Friday Food Truck Festival. Miam! Come by to get a taste of all your favourite food truck specialities and mingle with all of Montreal's renowned foodies. Can you already taste it? This event is something you surely don't want to miss out on. View event>
- Tokyo is known for always throwing it down. Come out to Tokyo Fridays to let go of your weekday blues. Time to dance the night away and get lost in the moment. View event>
Saturday, October 4th
- How many oysters can you eat? Come find out at Huis Clos for an Oyster Party!For all of you seafood fanatics, this is the place for you. With amazing prices on oysters (and others!) and a few cocktails to wash them down, kick start your Saturday night at La Perle Rare De Villeray. View event>
- Time to head up to Mont Tremblant to kick off the month. The leaves are changing colours, so it's the perfect opportunity to deck yourself out for this Colourfest. With tons of colour bombs, drinks and dancing- it's your chance to become a rainbow! View event>
- You better be ready for all the Oktoberfest Festivities that are taking over the country for the next month. To keep the ball rolling, check out Vankleek Hill for their two day (Saturday and Sunday) Beau's Oktoberfest Celebration. Complete with music, food and BEER! Keep the party going all weekend long and don't miss out. View event>
Sunday, October 5th
- Love is in the air. For all of you who are newly engaged, thinking about getting married or just have a guilty pleasure for wedding planning (you know who you are), Sublime Weddings Expositon is the place for you. Taking place at The Forest and Stream Club this expo. is full of everything imaginable related to weddings. A definite must-do! View event>
- Odesza is coming to Le Belmont with Hayden James and Ambassadeurs. Keep the party going till the last possible second of the weekend with this voluptuous show. All your senses will be tingling from all the amazing music that will radiate through you! View event>
- This is just the beginning of all the celebrations October has in hold for us. Marché Atwater Octoberfest is ready for all of you to come and celebrate if you've missed out on the past two days of festivals, or just want to keep going! Make sure you turn up to at least one of these events, you'll regret if you don't. View event>
Montreal, where will you party at?
Didn't mention your event? Let Marialys know via Twitter @MarialysDiaz
Alright Montreal, are you ready for one helluva week end? One festival ends and there goes another one that begins. Grand Prix was great but now MURAL fest, Beer fest and the FIFA world cup saga are taking over. Don't you worry fellow Montrealers, every hot spot you should be at we got them covered. Here's what's hot this week end.
Thursday, June 12th
The FIFA World Cup started and you cannot miss out on it. Even if you don't like soccer, just go for the ambiance and celebration of the World Cup at Rosalie.View event>
Then, you can pass by the beer fest, Mondial de la Bière at The Palais des Congrès de Montreal and have a beer if your team won, or have a cold one to ease the pain if your team lost! View event>
You definitely want to go on the Maine and check out the MURAL fest that will be on going until Sunday. Plus, there's the Block Party presented by MEG & MURAL. Oh, and if you party outdoors during winter for Igloofest, you can definitely party in the rain. No excuses people! View event>
You can continue the party with MURAL's Opening party at The SAT. Go celebrate with MURAL'S team to the sounds of Dusky, Jay London and Zubi. View event>
As the MURAL fest is taking over the city this week, you can expect a lot of MURAL parties. Here's another one for you MURAL's Paint Jam at Le Belmont. This will definitely be a fun event with live body painting and music of all genres. View event>
Here's another very interesting event you might want to check out; Le Marketfest Montreal at 3643 St. Laurent App.200. We say, interesting because there will be 3D printed installations, inteactive displays and last but not least, a DJ set by LUNICE. View event>
Friday, June 13th
You might want to stay indoors because it's Friday the 13th and something bad might happen. Ha! Just kidding!
There's Gravity; Concert, Party and Rides at La Ronde. Go party with Aaron Carter, Karl Wolf and others. View event>
Then, of course, a Block Party presented by SaintWoods & MURAL. This will definitely be a must. With sounds by Nick Wisdom, Louie P, Da-P and more, we can guarantee you will enjoy it. View event>
We cannot go by a Friday without telling you about FUNKtastique Fridays at La Porte Rouge. Montreal's sexiest crowd gathers there and parties like there was no tomorrow! View event>
Saturday, June 14st
There is the following event; Strangers in the Night 10 at Fairview Shopping Center. It's a gourmet gala with red carpet and everything! View event>
The long awaited Block Party presented by Osheaga & MURAL is finally arriving! You definitely don't want to miss out on this. Get out and party to the sounds of The Underachievers, Shash'U, The Posterz, No Kliché and more. View event>
Check out this video of Osheaga X MURAL Block Party 2013
If you are feeling sexy, go dance to Sex Music at Blue Dog. It gets very rowdy and wild! View event>
One more party you might want to check out is the MPU: Danger Alley at Le Belmont. Just by the name you can tell this will get crazy. View event>
There will be a Full Moon Party at TRH-Bar. This will be crazy and the place will be turnt upside down because that's how it goes down at TRH-Bar, no jokes! View event>
Sunday, June 15th
You already know where to find us on Sundays! If you don't, it's at Piknic Électronik at Parc Jean Drapeau! We will dance to the sounds by Anoma, Masomenos, Ohm Hourani and more. View event>
For the reggae lovers, the son of the the legend and beloved Bob Marley, Ziggy Marley will be at Olympia. Go satisfy your soul with some reggae. View event>
The art fest that is taking over the city and boulevard Saint-Laurent will come to an end and MURAL's Closing Party at 3643 St.Laurent App.200 is not to be missed! Great DJ's will be spinning; Paul Wall, Simahlak, Ryan Playground and Grandbuda. We can guarantee you will be dancing all night! View event>
A chance to grab free tickets to the season's best beer festival.
Fall has something else to offer other than layered clothing and coloured leaves, something much more fun and debaucherous it also offers Beau's brewery throwing the best damn Oktoberfest this side of Germany. If you're in the dark about just how awesome Oktoberfest is, here's a little breakdown: Beer, music, food, and beer!
Beau's Oktoberfest will be held on Friday October 4th and Saturday October 5th this year in Vankleek Hill, Ontario. It is a 45 minute drive from Montreal, but fear not for those that do not have a ride!
MTL Blog is giving away:
3 pairs of tickets for the day of your choice (between Friday Oct 4th or Saturday Oct 5th)*
Bus transportation (roundtrip) from "Station du Collège" metro strop
Food is a huge part of Oktoberfest, and Beau's already boasts 20+ restaurants , serving up delicious meats like Smoked Meat Brisket, Maple Mustard Peameal, and traditional schnitzel. To keep your ears pleased, over ten live musical acts will perform throughout the two day party. But most importantly, the beer! Nine different beers will be readily available for your consumption, along with cask beers and ciders. Drink up Tom Green's Milk Stout, Smokin' Banana Peel's Rauch Weissbier, and much more to get yourself in the party mood. Check out the full lists of Food, Beer, and Music to get yourself uber pumped.
So how do you get in on this food-beer-fun-fest? As always, MTL Blog has got you covered. We are offering one lucky winner a pair of tickets for the day of your choice (Oct. 4th or 5th) PLUS round trip bus transportation. We're basically giving you lunch, dinner, tons of beer, and a ride home safe, so you don't want to miss the chance to get old-country crazy at Beau's Oktoberfest. Enter for a chance to win here, and get ready to get bavarian!
"7 Beer Release in 5 Weeks! Collaborative Brews, Fan Favourites, and Events at the Brewery and across Ontario!"
Beau`s All Natural brewery located in Vankleek Hill was gracious enough to send us samples of the first two weeks beers of their "FeBREWary" promotion. We are not located in Ontario so we certainly felt honored to be considered to try out some of the best beer on the market.
We have a special place for them in our hearts since we have been attending their annual "Oktoberfest" event for the last couple of years and actually covered the 2012 edition this past fall for the website.
With that said lets take a look back "FeBREWary" and the beers we got to sample.
"Kick off feBREWary by toasting the first ever International Gruit Day, plus we'll be launching "Oiseau De Nuit: Pumpkin Gruit", our collaboration with Elysian Brewing(Seattle, USA) in celebration! And be sure to stop by the brewery on Saturday, we'll have all sorts of Winter Carnival themed fun & games to enjoy, and lots of tasty bottles of beer to take home with you."
"Week two of feBREWary is like stepping into a time machine with the release of our historical re-creation of a Dubbel Koyt(a Dutch gruit made with oats, bog myrtle and yarrow), that was brewed with beer researcher Ron Pattinson. Dubble Koyt provides the rare opportunity to taste beer as it might have existed centuries ago. Plus, we're tapping a wooden cask of Bog•Father at the brewery on Friday. Saturday we'll have our friends from Operation Come Home at the brewery to help us throw a Mardi-Gras style open house for Dubble Koyt. We'll be making pancakes and their Beadworks program will be running a interactive bead station, so come say hi!"