If Montreal's wildly inconsistent January weather patterns haven't freaked you out already, the latest February forecasts from Environment Canada and MétéoMédia are sure to ruffle some frigid feathers. February's weather is about to be colder than it's been all winter, so get ready for layers upon layers and sweating on the metro.
"We haven't had a particularly cold winter thus far," Environment Canada meteorologist Simon Legault told MTL Blog over the phone, but in February, things are going to get real.
Of course, even "not particularly cold" actually means "really godd*mn cold" to some of us, especially those who are recent Montreal transplants still figuring out how to dress for the winter. Legault added that February "might feel colder" than it actually is since the rest of the winter has been so warm.
This is bad news bears for Montreal, where Legault's coworker Jean-Philippe Bégin says the cold will be "back in full force" heading into next month. "For the first 10 days of the month, there's a consensus that we'll see below-average temperatures for the season, Bégin continued.
"It'll be the coldest weather we've seen so far this winter," he concluded, rather ominously.
MétéoMédia's forecast, based on historic weather data, puts the highest chance of precipitation in February at around 30% toward the end of the month. Average temperatures are predicted to hover around freezing or just below, meaning any snow that does fall is likely to stick around.
The Farmer's Almanac, which makes predictions much farther in the future than most sane meteorologists do, says there's a chance of a Nor'easter in mid-February, which they claim "may drop as much as 30-60 centimetres of snow" across Eastern Canada.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Montreal's Winter Weather Could Get Pretty Disgusting This Year, According To A Forecast ›
- Quebec's Winter Forecast Is Out & It Could Get 'Unreasonably Cold'... Tabarnouche ›
- Montreal Is Under A Snowfall Warning & Facing 'Harsh Weather Conditions' This Week - MTL Blog ›
- A Winter Storm Is About To Strike Quebec & Temps In Some Regions Could Dip Below Minus 40 C - MTL Blog ›
- You're Not A True Montrealer Until You've Lived Through 8 Out Of These 12 Winter Struggles - MTL Blog ›
- Another Quebec Snowstorm Is On Its Way & Traffic Will Be A Nightmare This Weekend - MTL Blog ›
- Montreal Early February Weather Has Temps Dropping To -30 & We're All Going To Lose Our Minds - MTL Blog ›
- Montreal Is Under A Snow Squall & Smog Warning As An Intense Cold Front Hits Quebec - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Weather Groundhog Was Found Dead On Groundhog Day— He Could Never Have Predicted This - MTL Blog ›
- Environment Canada Issued An Extreme Cold Warning For Montreal — Wind Chill Of -42 Expected - MTL Blog ›
- Environment Canada Issued A Snow Squall Warning For Montreal - MTL Blog ›
- A Low-Pressure System Could Bring A Disgusting Mix Of Freezing Rain, Rain & Snow To Quebec - MTL Blog ›
- Montreal Is About To Get Buried In Snow Again — Get Ready For Low Temps & Slow Traffic - MTL Blog ›
- The Quebec Weather Forecast Is Calling For Another Winter Storm & It May Impact Spring Break - MTL Blog ›