Guys, I don't know about you, but I've been feeling super happy lately. I'm not sure if it's because of the sunshine, or because all the snow is finally melted, or if it's maybe because I'm seeing Montrealers out and about and finally able to explore this glorious city.
READ ALSO: Downtown Montreal's Musée Des Beaux-Arts Will Be Free This May
Whatever the reason is, all I know is that I'm finally feeling like Montreal has bloomed into the gorgeous city it always was and always will be. Let's be honest, although we make the best of winter in the city, Montreal under a blanket of snow is maybe not as fun as Montreal under a blanket of green grass and tulips.
But we made it, though. Winter is now officially over; April showers have made room for May flowers; spring has sprung; the snow is melted... basically, Montreal has defrosted and bloomed into the gorgeous city it always was and always will be.
Of course, with super beautiful weather and super chill vibes come a whole bunch of super fun, free things to do in the city! True, the basic things in Montreal are free. I mean, it doesn't cost anything to take a stroll through your favourite park or Instagram some seriously legit houses you found while walking to work.
But some things are a little less obvious, guys. And if you're wondering exactly what those are, then worry not. I've been letting you guys know about free things to do in Montreal for a while now, and like every month, I've got your back for May 2017, too.
For May 1 - May 7, 2017, Click "NEXT"
May 1 - May 7, 2017:
1. Starting on May 1 and on throughout the year, check out the Literary Saint Denis outdoor exhibit, where text, art, and the urban environment will all come together and form something spectacular.
2. On May 2, kick off the opening of Montreal's Festival Access Asie by checking out their opening 5 a 7 cocktail at Lion d'Or, featuring free admission.
3. Need to decompress with some yoga? On May 2, head over to Lole St. Catherine for a free yoga class.
4. As of May 4, take a stroll down St. Catherine Street and admire the Aires Libres public art installation. (PS: the "pink balls" are meant to be rainbow coloured this year!)
5. On May 5, head on over to the Olympic Stadium and check out the very first First Fridays event of 2017.
6. Burn off all the food truck calories by participating in this 5K run in Montreal's Mile End, to celebrate the opening of the area's brand new Lululemon store, on May 6.
7. That same day, get yourself to any participating comic book shop and score yourself some free comics during Montreal's Free Comic Book Day.
8. Then, on May 7, head on over to Mount Royal and participate in the huge springtime clean up of the mountain.
9. From May 5 - 7, get yourself to the Eglise St. Denis for the Puces Pop artisanal bazaar, free to enter.
10. Throughout the month, get yourself to the Quartier Des Spectacles for their 21 Balancoires (musical swings) outdoor art installation.
For May 8 - May 14, 2017, Click "NEXT"
May 8 - May 14, 2017:
11. Beginning on May 8, get yourself to Montreal's Place Des Festivals and check out the interactive Maestro water/art exhibit.
12. More of an art lover than anything else? Starting May 9, head on over to the Galerie de l'UQAM and check out Gilberto Esparza's newest Canadian art exhibit.
13. That same day, haul yourself down to Lole St. Catherine, for a free yoga class.
14. Or, if you're more of a runner than a yogi, check out Lole Westmount for an hour-long running meetup, also on May 9.
15. Is biking through the city kind of your thing? On May 11, get yourself to Phillips Square for the super fun free Velo Party Montreal.
16. Now that the snow's (finally!) all gone, grab your fave running shoes and hike up to the Mount Royal lookout.
17. Towards the middle of the month, admire all the gorgeous tulips that'll be in bloom at the lookout.
18. Or snuggle up with bae (or a bottle of wine, whatever) and catch the latest comedy releases on Netflix.
19. On the weekend of May 14, peruse Montreal's May Market in the Plateau, and enjoy live music and a whole bunch of super fun things.
20. On Sunday, May 14, call/visit your mom and wish her a happy Mother's Day. (The gift of time is free, FYI).
For May 15 - 21, 2017, Click "NEXT"
May 15 - 21, 2017:
22. Always dreamed of perfecting your songwriting skills? On May 15, check out this free writing workshop, presented by Dominic Pelletier and Raphael Potvin.
23. If your heart belongs to art forever, then check out "Manipulated Variables", a free art verinssage on May 16 at the VAV Gallery.
24. Starting May 17, pay special attention to the Jacques-Cartier Bridge at night, and watch it light up in beautiful colours to celebrate Montreal's 375th!
25. Or, if you're more of a graphic novel fan, then on May 17, check out this Graphic Novel Book Club meeting at Librarie Drawn and Quarterly.
26. Then, on May 18, get yourself to Drawn and Quarterly for a free poetry reading night.
27. If you're a Montreal history buff (and let's be honest, I'm raising my hand on this one right now), then check out Montreal's "Memory Tour" along the Saint-Lawrence river, on throughout the month.
28. On May 20, check out Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie for their "Page Blanche" artistic meeting space, and prepare to be seriously inspired.
29. Dance buffs, rejoice, and get yourselves to Beaver Lake on May 20 for a special "dance under the stars" nighttime dancing event.
30. Then, on May 21, make your way to Verdun's Promenade Wellington for a free outdoor Zumba class.
31. That same day, stop by Montreal's St. Viateur Street for a huge block party celebrating St-Viateur Bagles, and enjoy live music, giveaways, and more!
For May 22 - 31, 2017, Click "NEXT"
May 22 - 31, 2017:
33. Are film screenings kinda your thing? On May 23, check out the free screening of Tutu and Franklin: A Journey Towards Peace, at the Jeanne Sauve Foundation.
34. If you're a jazz aficionado, then head on over to Upstars Jazz Bar and listen in for free to a jam session put on by Concordia students on May 24.
35. On May 26, get yourself to Montreal's Botanical Gardens, and enjoy free entry on that day.
36. If you love to read more than anything else, then check out the launch of Jillian Tamaki's new book, Boundless, at Librarie Drawn and Quarterly on May 26.
37. On May 26 - 27, head on over to St. Denis Street for their huge outdoor live music event. (Protip: they'll be closing off the street to make way for some super fun, free activities!)
38. Then, on May 27, make it down to St. Henri for their super fun POPS ART outdoor event.
39. If you're a fan of museums, then on May 28, participate in Montreal's Free Museum Day, featuring free admission to over 30 Montreal museums.
40. This week, check out Montreal's glorious Jardins Gamelin, open officially on May 17 and on throughout the summer.