Turn down for what? O Canada! Yes, this weeks festivities include celebrating our great nation's 147th birthday.
God Bless all the SAQs are open & pretty much everyone is off, SO there should be no excuses as to why you're not fully immersing yourselves in the major events taking place.
There are plenty of things going on in our luminous city ranging from parades to fireworks to all the non-stop hoopla in between.
The Canada Day Pre-Party @ Blvd44
The Parade (St. Catherine)
- Where: Starts @ the corner of Fort/St. Caths and runs until Place du Canada (full route)
- When: Starting at 11am
- What: The RCMP, the Canadian Armed Forces Military Band, the raising of the flag and oh there's going to be free cake...no big deal. The cake is expected to feed up to 2,500 people (first come, first served). So when the parade is done GET IN LINE and there's also free coffee for all.
The Fireflies' Parade (West-Island Edition)
- Where: Starts @ the corner of rue Perron/Pierrefonds Blvd and ends in front of the Borough Hall (full route)
- When: Starts @ 8:15 pm
- What: A new timeslot in the evening and a new theme for the annual Westie Canada Day parade. The theme is revolving around light in order to instill a touch of magic and enchantment. It will bring together over 20 local organizations who will walk the boulevard surrounded by light sources along with suburban mommies showcasing their kids. The parade will also take an eco-friendly turn since there will be no floats or trucks and, therefore, no form of pollution related to the event.
Outdoor Activities & Shows @ Old Port Promenade
- Where: Clock Tower Pier/ Old Port Promenade/ Bonsecours Basin Park
- When: Starting at 12pm
- What: Following the parade, the afternoon will consist of cannon salutes, historical tours, dream catcher/bracelets workshops, face painting, live shows, concerts, line dancing and much more, topping the day off with fireworks at 10:15pm. Admission for all activities is free.
Clock Tower Beach
- Where: Clock Tower Pier, Old Port (map)
- When: Opened from 11am to 5pm
- What: If the festivities aren't for you, then go straight to the beach. Simple as that. All beaches are open so grab your buds and some real Canadian beer, maybe throw in a Canadian themed towel and some face tattoos and you’re all set. To add to the fun, bring water guns, your portable grill and some games. Have a blast tanning, jamming out, and relishing in your youth.
- We definitely recommend going to Clock Tower mostly because you're in the heart of all the action and you can have dinner on a terrace, check out the Art in the Sand exhibit & watch the fireworks from the pier.
Celebrations By Borough (*= Fireworks)
- *Beaconsfield: From 1 to 10:15pm @ Centennial Hall Park. Irish/Scottish Celtic dancers, face-painting, BBQ, cross-Canada mini-putt, & circus-type entertainment.
- *Côte Saint-Luc: From 1 to 10pm @ Pierre Elliott Trudeau Park. Includes tattoos, arts & crafts, cupcakes, and musical entertainment.
- Côtes-des-Neiges: From 1-8pm @ Kent Park.
- *Dollard-des-Ormeaux: From 5-10pm @ Civic Centre.
- *Dorval: From 3-10pm @ Millennium Park. A giant slide, a labyrinth, BBQ and la birthday cake.
- *Hudson: From 3-10pm @ Thompson Park. A watermelon-eating contest, a bake-with-maple-syrup contest, and a bonfire.
- *Lachine: From 5-10pm @ Marina d'Escale.
- *LaSalle: From 4-10pm @ Parc des Rapids.
- *Laval: From 11-10pm @ Parc Centre de la Nature. Inflatable games, canoeing, kayaking, & live shows.
- Montreal North: From 1-10pm @ Aimé-Léonard Park.
- *Montreal West: From 4-10:30pm @ Davies Park.
- *Pierrefonds-Roxboro: From 12-11pm @ Pierrefonds Comprehensive High School. TOWN FAIR = RIDES!
- Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue: From 11-6pm @ Royal Canadian Legion.
- *St. Lazare: From 12-12am @ Bedar Park. Amusement park, rides & games.
- If you're feeling a little anti-social this Canada day you can always hit up the casino with Grandparents and play the slots/roulette. The Montreal Casino is always open and here for you.
And if none of these events float your boat, then hit the road and go to Ottawa! Yes, Marianas Trench will be there along with many swing dancers..