A little while ago we got some exciting news for Canadians coming from YouTube, and their plans to be releasing more premium services to us up here!
The plan was to roll out YouTube Premium and YouTube Music in Canada, replacing the YouTube Red services the company previously had.
That day has finally come.
Starting today (June 18), YouTube Premium and YouTube Music have become available to everyone in Canada. That means more video and music is now at your fingertips.
YouTube Premium is jam-packed full of new features that will have you bringing new meaning to the term binge watching. YouTube has set themselves up quite well to take on streaming giants like Netflix and Spotify.
With a YouTube Premium subscription, users will (finally) be able to enjoy ad-free playback, offline downloads and they'll also get access to the new YouTube Music (which now has it's own app, too!)
Here are all the features available on YouTube Premium:
- Ad-free playback
- Background playback (no more videos stopping on app close)
- Downloads across all platforms
- All YouTube Originals - sh.ows and movies
You'll also get access to the brand-new YouTube Music with a premium subscription, or you can save a couple bucks per month and just get YouTube Music on its own (just get them both, its worth it!).
YouTube Music is a new service layered on the great music streaming you already know:
- It's ALL here. Not just music videos, but official albums, singles, remixes, live performances, covers and hard-to-find music you can only get on YouTube.
- Recommendations built for you. A home screen that dynamically adapts to provide recommendations based on the artists and songs you've played before, where you are and what you're doing. Chilling at the beach? Need some motivation? The right music is right here, built just for you.
- Thousands of playlists across any genre, mood or activity. Try "A Dose of Sun" for brighter tunes on a cloudy day, "The Pop Hotlist" for the biggest hits around the world or Distrito Latino for Latin pop hits of the moment.
- Smart search so we'll find the song, even if you can't remember what it's called. "That space-themed Spice Girls song in the desert." Here you go. You can also search by lyrics (even if they're wrong). It's "Hold me closer, Tony Danza," right?
- The hottest videos. We'll keep you on top of what's hot! The hottest videos in the world right now are right there, on their own dedicated Hotlist screen. So you can go check out that brand-new Degrassi-themed Drake video.
- Ad-free listening, downloads and more. Get YouTube Music Premium to listen ad-free, in the background and on-the-go with downloads. Plus, your Offline Mixtape automatically downloads songs you love just in case you forgot to.
YouTube's Premium services are competitively priced, hitting the average monthly subscription cost of $9.99 for their Music service. Or you can opt out to go right for the premium service at only $11.99 (do this, you get Music, too!)
The best part about all of this? You can try this new Premium YouTube service for FREE for the next months before!
To see a brand-new music streaming service is a big deal for me. I need to take some time to fully digest all of this, test out these features and see just how special this service is.
The YouTube Music app will be a make or break deal for me! A streaming service is only as good as it's technology, and I have steered clear of using YouTube for music because of this very reason for years! Initially, already notice no adjustable EQ settings - which is a huge fail for me.
They do, however, have the new Jay-Z and Beyonce record that dropped days ago - so there's that?
I guess time will tell. At this time I'm also unsure how YouTube Premium will stack up when wanting to stream movies and TV. Sure, they have their originals. Sure, they're probably great.
Will the time come where YouTube's pay-per-view movie streaming gets included in their Premium subscription price? I think it should be! Right now it doesn't look that way.