According to a press release shared with MTL Blog, "The Killers will be heading back to the road to celebrate both Pressure Machine and Imploding The Mirage, along with their much-loved catalogue of global hits, in 2022."
Since the pandemic forced The Killers to cancel the Imploding the Mirage tour in 2020, frontman Brandon Flowers took the time to write and record an intimate and introspective album with the band titled Pressure Machine that is set for release this August.
"It was the first time in a long time for me that I was faced with silence," Flowers said in the press release.
"And out of that silence, this record began to bloom, full of songs that would have otherwise been too quiet and drowned out by the noise of typical Killers records."
The Killers will be backed up on tour by the legendary Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr.
They'll be at the Bell Centre on September 24, 2022.
Tickets for the Montreal show go on sale on Friday, July 23 at 10 a.m on evenko.
At a press conference on Tuesday, Minister Dubé was asked what he thought about the crowd, consisting of nearly 15,000 fully vaccinated spectators, and whether discotheques should also have relaxed measures.
"It is certain that when you have been under the yoke of this pandemic for 18-19 months and you find yourself in a show [...] it is difficult to hold back," said Minister Dubé.
"Well, I'm not a fan of Mr. Iglesias, but the one before [Ricky Martin] was more rhythmic," he added with a laugh.
The spectators were required to wear a mask and remain seated at all times. But according to images circulating on social media, fans were gripped by dance fever leading some people to stand up and some masks to come down.
"I think the Bell Center had set the conditions to be respected. There are people who may not have respected the rules. We can understand, not that I excuse them, but we can understand," said Minister Dubé, admitting that "it was a bit of a stretch what we saw there."
Minister Dubé also said he hopes there won't be too many COVID-19 cases as a result of last weekend's event.
"Just because things are going well on the stabilization side doesn't mean we should let go of the health measures. So I hope that those who have been given flexibility, like the Bell Centre, will make sure they follow the measures," he said.
Like last year, the 2021 festival is planned as a hybrid of in-person concerts and virtual events.
"What a wild time. It's the 20th-anniversary edition of POP Montreal! Yes it's still a pandemic so we have to remain safe and careful but we can celebrate and be thankful that we can still go to shows and see amazing live music. What a gift!" says an announcement posted on POP Montreal's website.
The festival is set to take place from September 22-26, 2021.
Kanesatake election results to be revealed after July 31
Lopez told MTL Blog that he originally planned for the festival to be held on a large piece of land belonging to a Mohawk family, but after word spread that a major festival would be held in the area, the organizers received backlash from the wider Mohawk community. The show had also been cancelled once before, he said.
"We started having a lot of negative comments from the Mohawk nation, saying that they didn't want all these people walking around," Lopez told MTL Blog.
"And to top it all off [...] the show got postponed for a date where [...] they had the election going, you know, for whoever the new Chief is going to be."
"That's when we had to [...] all sit down at a board meeting, and we [made] the decision out of respect for their community [...] and the things that are going on right now, as well as their election, that we would put everything on hold," Lopez said.
Event organizers plan to "circle back" post-election
Lopez told MTL Blog he intends to meet with the Mohawk Council before re-organizing the festival, in order to "get proper approvals and the support of all the community."
"We want to make sure that the fans have a safe environment with zero animosity attached to our events," he said.
"The Mohawk Nation is a beautiful nation [and] I would really like to bring something positive over there to make people feel [...] like it is a safe place to go out. I would not go forward without having [the Council] and the Mohawk Nation behind us."
The event managers expected approximately 1,000 spectators at the show, according to Daley. He said an on-site cannabis dispensary — which would not have been legal had the show taken place in Montreal — and alcohol sales were part of the festival's original plan.
"Sometimes, not all money is good money. Sometimes you gotta step back and show the bigger picture, that way the Native community can look at you and respect you," Daley said.
However, though Lopez hopes to reorganize the event for the fall, he intends to meet the newly elected Council of Chiefs and the Grand Chief after the July 31 election before that can happen.
"We will have to see with the new Council at that time if they are in agreement [...] with what we will set forward," he told MTL Blog.
"And at [that] point, we will have to have a clear yes."
MTL Blog reached out to the Mohawk Council of Kanesatake for comment but it was not able to provide further information at the time. We will update this story if that changes.