Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

44% Of Quebecers Are Afraid They Can't Afford Their Living Expenses This Year

According to a survey.

Contributing Writer
44% Of Quebecers Are Afraid They Can't Afford Their Living Expenses This Year

If you've been worried about your finances lately, it looks like you're not the only one stressed about Quebec living expenses.

The MNP Consumer Debt Index measures Canadians’ views on their consumer debt and measures their capacity to pay their bills. During the last quarter of 2021, the index fell to the "lowest reading ever recorded since its inception in June 2017."

According to the most recent findings of the MNP Consumer Debt Index, 38% of Quebecers were stressed about their current level of debt during the last three months of 2021.

Only 56% of Quebecers think they can live comfortably between their salary and their expenses in 2022. Meanwhile, the other 44% are afraid that they cannot cover all their expenses this year.

According to the survey results, 41% of Quebecers said that they were approximately $200 away from being incapable of meeting all their financial obligations, a number which also includes 23% of responses of people who reported they don't make enough money to cover all of their debt payment and bills.

"Making matters worse, more Quebecers now say they are finding it even harder to pay down debt (23%, +2pts), and that it has become much less affordable to set aside money for savings (15% +4pts)."

Almost half of Quebecers' responses to the index survey (45%) said they regret how much debt they've chosen to take on.

The last main finding from the latest index was that 26% of Quebecers have fears surrounding handling a loss of employment, change of wage or seasonal work "without increasing their debt burden."

This article’s cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...