At around 6 p.m. on Saturday, the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) tweeted that it had deployed police officers on Chemin de la Coulée-Carrier in Sainte-Paule. Police said this was "linked to the events that led to the triggering of the Amber alert on August 31 in the same sector."
Minutes later, a new tweet stated that the pair had been found and the amber alert was over.
The SQ previously alleged that the boy had been abducted in Sainte-Paule by his father, 36-year-old David Côté.
"For the moment, we will not communicate further so as not to interfere with the current operation. We ask citizens to stay away from the area," the SQ tweeted.
In July 2020, all eyes were on one of Quebec's longest-running Amber Alerts, which ended when police found the bodies of the two young girls, aged 6 and 11. Police said the girls had been murdered by their father, Martin Carpentier, who they concluded died by suicide.
✨ Ce soir dès 21h sur @noovo_ca, on reçoit la mère de Norah et Romy Carpentier, Amélie Lemieux, @melaniejoly nous p… https://t.co/hnkw5UgGlX
— La semaine des 4 Julie (@La semaine des 4 Julie)1632410694.0
"I was told on July 11 that Norah had been found, but that they were trying to resuscitate her. It takes a doctor to declare [death]. They found Norah first and then about 20 or 30 minutes later they told me about Romy," Lemieux recounted.
"The time it took them to get the children out of the woods was very, very long because the place was not very accessible by four wheels. [...] The time it took them to transfer them to the hospital, it was almost three hours. They didn't tell me about the state of my children, all they said was, 'We're trying to resuscitate them,' so you're in anguish."
Lemieux explained how it took nearly 18 hours for the Amber Alert to be triggered after authorities discovered the children were missing.
According to her, this delay could have cost her daughters their lives.
"For 18 hours, what happened? I'm left with these traumas," she said.
While she doesn't hold the authorities directly responsible, Lemieux did admit to feeling a sense of "injustice" about how everything was handled.
Lemieux described her ex-spouse as an "introverted man" who never showed any signs of violence toward the family. She said she is still at a loss for what caused her ex-spouse to murder the two girls.
"There was a psychological state that we didn't see," she said.
"I was there that day, I spoke with him, I was in the house [...]. He had dinner with my parents and then he just said, 'Well, I'll go and have an ice cream with the girls.' After that, it's a black hole that we don't understand."
Lemieux revealed that despite the tragedy, she is currently in the process of doing fertility treatments and is planning to have another child through a surrogate.
If you or anyone you know is struggling with thoughts of harming themselves, please reach out to a trusted peer, parent or health care professional. You can also contact a helpline which is available 24 hours a day to talk. Or click here, for additional support resources. If you need immediate assistance please call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest hospital. Support is available.
"Concerning the major fire that occurred yesterday in a factory in Beauceville, eight people in total were injured. Six of them were transported to hospitals in the Quebec City area. The death of two of these victims, two men in their fifties, was unfortunately noted at the hospital centre today," according to a press release sent by the SQ on September 21.
Later that evening, a third victim succumbed to his injuries. The victim also an elderly man in his fifties, police said.
"Three other injured people are still in the hospital and are all in critical condition," said the Sûreté du Québec.
The investigation is to determine the circumstances of the fire is ongoing. Repair work was underway at the plant and the SQ is not ruling out the possibility that it was the cause of the fire.
Driving while distracted is a real danger on the road, which is why Quebec police, in collaboration with the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) and Contrôle routier Québec (CRQ), recently began the "National Concerted Operation Distraction 2021" to make drivers aware of the consequences of distracted driving.
And police weren't playing around when it came to this operation.
Les corps policiers du Qc, la SAAQ et CRQ se sont unis du 10 au 16 septembre 2021, afin d'informer les conducteurs… https://t.co/Iy4p5Qzefk
Between September 10 and 16, "police services conducted more than 2,500 operations and issued more than 1,900 tickets for the use of a hand-held electronic device or a display screen while driving."
A press release from the Sûreté du Québec reminds drivers that "using a hand-held electronic device or display screen while driving reduces a driver's attention and concentration, and increases the risk of being involved in a collision. Distracted driving also greatly increases the risk of committing other traffic violations because you take your eyes off the road."
The National Concerted Operation Distraction 2021 set out to remind Quebec drivers of the risks of distracted driving and to promote safe and responsible driving.